What to expect: meeting with oncologist after initial MDT

• 5 replies
  • 4 subscribers

Hi, last week Liverpool Women’s hospital discussed my case and test results in their MDT and I’ve been given an appointment for next Thursday to see the oncologist. I presume this is to go over the treatment plan. What else can I expect to happen? Might they run some tests? Trying to work out how long I’ll be there due to getting a lift. Some good news - pet scan showed this is a primary vaginal  tumour 6x4cm and it hasn’t spread anywhere else in the body. Named nurse  thinks their chosen treatment will likely be chemo. 

• Hi AEW66. When you see the oncologist it is to go through your treatment plan. They will discuss possible side effects, and what to do if this occures. There will be consent forms to fill about your treatment and information to help you on your journey with chemo. I would recommend a note pad to write things down as there is a lot to take in at first. Dont worry to much they will send you home with leafletts to read. I have always attended my appointments solo, but some like to take a friend. As for how long you will be there is impossible to judge i have been there 4 hours at the longest. This is not just with oncologist there are waiting time, bloods, oncologist meeting, nurse meeting, then maybe a visit to the chemo ward to show you around. So maybe be dropped off and then phone for a lift back. All the best in your treatment Dawn x

• Hi  

It’s good to know the MDT has met to decide on their treatment plan-that means things will start happening soon. Your petscan results are very good news that the tumour is contained.

Your appointment with the oncologist should be to discuss the plan in more detail, for example if the treatment is chemo you will be told the type of chemo, how it will be administered, and for how many cycles. You will be advised of all the possible side effects so that you can give what is called informed consent, but while these can sound scary it’s unlikely you would suffer from all of them. You just need to be aware of them, and what to do if they occur-you should be given a 24 hr number to call if anything happens while you are at home where you can get advice-things like a high temperature for example or becoming unwell. 

When I went for my treatment plan appointment there were no further tests done, except getting sent to get my bloods taken. I had already met with my nurse, and I wasn’t given a tour of the chemo department, and each hospital is different in how they do things. So I was there for maybe half an hour or so? My partner was with me for all of it. 

Hope the appointment next week goes well, and you let us know how you get on. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks. Yeah I think chemo will be provided at one of Clatterbridge’s satellite clinics at a more local hospital so perhaps I won’t be there long for my initial consult. 
    the way I feel now with the pain I feel like telling them to just do surgery and get rid of it all Tired face

• It’s just horrible to be in so much pain-I remember it well. Surgery is normally only possible with early stage cancers of this type, but I think our natural feeling is just wanting it out. But your tumour is large..so other treatment is the most likely option when this is the case. Hopefully it wont be long before treatment starts and you will hopefully start to feel better. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm