Worried about planning scan

• 9 replies
  • 3 subscribers

Hi 

I have a CT planning scan on Friday in preparation for external radiotherapy. Told to allow 3-4 hours for the appointment, drink 4 pints of water daily and avoid leafy veg. 

A big worry for me is the loss of dignity and what feels like the invasion of the most intimate parts of my body during examinations etc. I can cope with a fair bit of discomfort and pain but it's all the poking about in places that I'd rather weren't exposed to the world that gets to me Nauseated face

I know the staff are sensitive to this and have seen it all before but I really do hate it ! 

What we're your experiences like and any suggestions about how to deal with it? 

Thank you and hugs to you all 

A

• Hi  

I think we can all identify with the not wanting to be poked about, and potential loss of dignity. I can tell you my experience, which I appreciate was not for vaginal cancer, but cervical cancer growing in my vagina. It too was a planning scan for external radiotherapy.

I had all my clothes on, that’s the first thing, with my leggings and pants rolled down a little and a cover put over to preserve my modesty! I laid on the table while the CT scanner moved over my body-not enclosed or particularly close. After this, the staff marked 3 tiny pinprick “tattoos” on my body -one on each hip and one at the top of my public bone. These did not hurt and are done so that you are correctly aligned on the table when undergoing treatment.

At no time was I poked-nothing was inserted inside me, and I was not examined in any way. There was no pain involved at all during any of it. 

I wasn’t given instructions about water or leafy veg. Are you certain that relates to the planning scan? It could certainly relate to the actual radiotherapy treatment itself, as you need to drink a lot throughout the treatment. Pelvic radiotherapy can give you diarrhoea, so I was advised to reduce my intake of veg and fruit.

For the actual treatment itself I needed a full bladder but did the drinking protocol for that when I arrived in the department each day for treatment. I needed an empty bowel for the planning scan, but no-one told me in advance so I was sent home with suppositories when it was first attempted and had to come back the next day when it did get carried out.

Your appointment is certainly for a lot longer than mine-I was probably there around an hour-so I don’t know if things are going to be different for you. On many days of actual treatment I was there for much longer due to clinics running late, machines breaking down/being in maintenance and trying to ensure my bladder was at the right capacity. 

I would say it was an extremely straightforward procedure having the planning scan done, and I hope you find it the same. I stress of course that my cancer was different but the location was basically the same and my experience was standard according to all the other ladies I have spoken to over the years who have had pelvic radiotherapy. Try not to stress too much in advance-your dignity is preserved all through treatment I found, and I didn’t find it a difficult process to have the actual treatment itself.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi  

Just wanted to wish you all the best with your planning scan tomorrow. Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Thank you Sarah. I feel reassured by your words and I'm sure it won't be as bad as I've been imagining. 

I do feel positive about it being another step on my treatment plan being  completed Blush

A x

• Thanks Debz, I'll let you know how it goes! 

• Sorry, I meant Sarah ! Chemo brain strikes again Sweat smile

• No problem! Glad you’re feeling it’s another positive step in your plan.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi Sarah 

Just to let you know that the radiotherapy planning went well. I was there for nearly 3 hours but some of this was taken up with making sure I'd drunk enough water to keep my bladder full. 

I did ask the male medical student to leave the room which he did . I spoke with the radiographer about my feelings and she recommended I access the Macmillan BUPA counselling service. I had the 1st assessment session with them today and will have 6 sessions of counselling to work on my anxieties and concerns before the brachytherapy begins. I've also booked myself a private yoga session this Friday to help with breathing and relaxation. 

Chemo no. 6 this week and then hopefully a 1 week break before chemoradiotherapy starts on the 5th February. 

Hope you are staying well and thank you so much for your continued support. It means a great deal to me .

A Blush 

• Hi  

Good to hear your update! The water drinking can be a real trial as you go through treatment-it became the bane of my life making sure it was at the right level. 

I can certainly say that the bupa counselling service really helped me-I wish I’d known about it sooner in fact, but I hope you’ll find it good. You’re in a very good position getting it arranged now, and the yoga should also help you keep calm and focused.

Sorry for the delay in replying but I’ve come away on a much needed holiday so spent most of the day on the plane. But it’s wonderful to be in the warm and see the sun! 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Have a fabulous holiday in the sunshine. It's a great time of year to head somewhere warm and sunny to have a break from the dark winter days.