vaginal cancer

• 26 replies
  • 7 subscribers

hi i am newly diagnosed, at the stage where i am having my pet scan today and first appointment at the cancer hospital is on monday,

is there anyone who has or is going through this journey i could chat to please as most of the posts seem to be from a long time ago.

• Hi Carolyn 

I'm sorry you had no one to connect with when you were having treatment. I think because it's such a rare cancer there aren't many of us on here. This makes it even harder to deal with and it's such a worrying time as you well know. I do hope you are making a good recovery and thank you so much for reaching out. 

I'm having chemo atm before chemo radiotherapy starts in a few weeks time. 

All best wishes 

A Blush 

• Hi Debz

Thank you. I'm coping well with the chemo ,waiting for a planning scan before radiotherapy which I have to say I'm not looking forward to but viewing it as a necessary evil on my journey to recovery. 

Hope things are settling down for you. It must feel strange not having endless hospital visits and treatment. Do let us know how it goes. 

Very best wishes 

A Blush 

• i thought the planning scans were the worse part of it all

how many sessions of radio will you have i had 25 radio 5 chemo and 4 brachy

glad im on the other side now and am just starting to get over some of the side effects which seemed worse once treatment stopped

• I'm having 25 radiotherapy with cisplatin once a week and then brachytherapy at Southampton hospital, think like you it'll be 4 .

Glad to hear your side effects are beginning to settle. 

I'll let you know how the planning scan goes Grimacing

• Hi, I'm just about to have 25 sessions of radiation and then 3 sessions of brachytherapy please tell me what the side effects are like. I'm glad that you're over the worst. Regards, Marilyn x

• Hi  

Just wanted to wish you all the best with your treatment. Not everyone has side effects, but you do need to be warned they are a possibility. I had 32 sessions of pelvic radiotherapy and the main thing for me was tiredness which was cumulative as the weeks went on. At week 3, I started with diarrhoea and cystitis which are both very common with this type of radiotherapy.

The main thing you should do is speak to your treating team if you start to experience any kind of side effects-you will be given medication to help. Hope it goes smoothly for you!

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm