vaginal cancer

• 26 replies
  • 7 subscribers

hi i am newly diagnosed, at the stage where i am having my pet scan today and first appointment at the cancer hospital is on monday,

is there anyone who has or is going through this journey i could chat to please as most of the posts seem to be from a long time ago.

• Hi  

I hope you can get a response from someone going through or who has gone through this-as you have found, the group tends to be quite quiet, maybe because this is a rarer cancer than some others. Often too, people who have been through treatment might simply not post any more as they’re getting on with their lives and have moved on. 

The vulva cancer group tends to be more active however. But with any cancer in that whole area the scans and treatments tend to be of the same type-radiotherapy will follow the same principles for example as cervical cancer in terms of planning and what happens when you go for treatment.  

Hope you’ll get some replies and hope the petscan goes smoothly. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi debz64 

I see you posted 2 months ago but I have just joined the group as I was diagnosed yesterday. I'm sat at home waiting for the hospital to call me with an MRI appointment before treatment starts.

I hope you're receiving the treatment and support you need . I'd be happy to chat at any time .

Good wishes 

Dorset Girl xx

• Hi  and welcome to the group.

I’m sorry to read you’ve just had your diagnosis-it’s a lot to get your head round at the start, and having all the different appointments. I hope you don’t have too long to wait for your mri appointment and results to come back so you can get your treatment started.

My cancer was cervical, but growing into the vaginal wall, so I do post in this group along with the cervical one. I was first diagnosed more than 5 years ago-seems a lifetime ago now, but currently I’m doing well. 

I will tag  and hopefully she will see this and be able to respond to you and share her experience.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi Sarah 

Thanks for reaching out. I'm so pleased you're doing well. It's great to hear positive news. 

Life is very stressful at the moment as I'm sure you can understand but I'm blessed with a lovely supportive family 

Best wishes x

• It will help so much to have that support around you, but I do remember the stressful times just post-diagnosis. Lack of full information and results is very tough to cope with.

These times will pass-you’re at a particularly difficult part of the whole process at the moment, but once you have a plan to focus on lots of us find things easier to cope with-it gives you back an element of control that you are doing something positive.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi my name is Marilyn. I've had womb cancer 3 years ago today I've been diagnosed with vagina cancer waiting for my pet scan. Very scared

• Hi Marilyn 

I'm so sorry to hear this. I understand just how scared you must be feeling . Personally , I'm terrified . I was misdiagnosed 6 months ago when I first presented with symptoms and was told everything was normal . Now I have secondaries in my lymph nodes . 

It feels like a long and painful journey ahead . I have an MRI on Friday before a treatment plan is worked up. I do hope you have your pet scan soon. The waiting is so hard. I'll be thinking of you 

Amanda x

• Thank you so much!   for your reply Yes I'm very scared but I hope that everything goes okay for you. It's scary not knowing I sending all. My best wishes to you I'm just waiting for a date for my pet scan. This is the most scariest bit checking to see if it's gone anywhere else Hope all goes well for you something. Hugs

• Thank you Blush 

It's good to chat with someone in a similar position. It feels very lonely at times even though I have a lovely family to support me.

Drop me a message whenever you want, big hugs to you too Hugging 

• Hi  Marilyn and welcome to the group.

I’m sorry to read you’ve had a second cancer diagnosis after your womb cancer. It’s a really scary time, I know, as I had a recurrence of my cervical cancer and remember how awful that felt.

I hope you don’t have too long to wait for your petscan and can move forward with your treatment plan. The petscan does take quite a long time all in all, but most of that time is spent sitting quietly after the radioactive tracer is put through the cannula so that it has time to travel round your body. The actual time spent in the scanner is quite short.

I hope when your scan results are in that there is no spread and treatment can start quite quickly for you-I think most of us feel we just want to get on with things and feel we’re doing something. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum