vaginal and vulva cancer

• 2 replies
  • 3 subscribers

hi

i am newly diagnosed and want to find people who have been in my situation so i know what to expect.

i am waiting an appointment with oncologist to discuss radiotherapy treatment.

it is stage 1 grade 2

• Hi   and welcome to the group.

I haven’t quite been your situation as I had cervical cancer with an tumour growing into the vaginal wall and hope you don’t mind me replying, but I have experienced radiotherapy and surgery in that area so have some experience! 

I just wondered if you could clarify the title of your post when you say vaginal and vulva cancer? The reason I ask is that we have a group for vulva cancer in addition to this group for vaginal cancer as they are separate cancer types. You may want to join this group too.  As you have said it is stage 1 and grade 2, I’m assuming it’s not a spread of cancer from the vagina?  Is it 2 separate cancers? Sorry for the questions but more clarity would allow you to connect with more women in the same situation as yourself for the cancer which you have. 

As you’re recently diagnosed I think we’ll all understand the uncertainty and fear around treatment-any cancer diagnosis is scary and there is a lot to process at the start. 

My main symptom from radiotherapy was tiredness-it is an exhausting, though not painful, process going every weekday for treatment. You may not experience side effects, but common side effects from radiotherapy in the pelvic area can relate to bladder and bowel changes in particular. For example I experienced an urgency to “go” and diarrhoea, and also radiation cystitis from week 3 of treatment. The main thing I would advise is flagging up any effects quickly to your team if you get them, and there will be something to help in the form of creams or anti diarrhoea medication. 

This is not to say you would have these side effects, but they will be noted as possible when you are signing consent for radiotherapy. You need to be advised of all possibilities to give informed consent. Is the only planned treatment radiotherapy? 

I hope some other ladies will come along to let you know of their experiences, but meanwhile please feel free to ask any questions as you think of them and we’ll do our best to help support you.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• thank you for your reply, im not really sure if its 2 seperate ones the vulva was detected first but then i think when the vagina was diagnosed i think that is where it started and its spread to my vulva

i have my first appointment at the cancer hospital monday so im guessing i will find out more xx