Getting diagnosed vaginal cancer

• 13 replies
  • 3 subscribers

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would share some tips with you on getting diagnosed. I under went a hysterectomy 25 years ago for repeated abnormal smears. CIN 3.   I had no further problems until 18 months ago when I experienced an episode of vaginal bleeding. I contacted my GP straight away and was referred to the hospital for a fast track appointment. The gynaecologist only did a cursory exam with a small speculum and declared it was vaginal atrophy due to my age. I didn't know at this stage that my GP had felt a small mass in the vagina when she had carried out an internal. Obviously, not wishing to alarm me she told me the skin was a bit rough. My GP sent a request for a second urgent referral 12 weeks later when the bleeding had worsened. I was put on a general waiting list and did not receive an appointment until 4 months later. It was clear when I arrived for my appointment the gynaecologist had not even familiarised herself with my GPs second letter. I insisted on a thorough examination only to find a large mass at the top of of my vagina. An urgent MRI and biopsy shoed it to be stage 4 vaginal cancer with pelvic lymph node involvement. I've since undergone several rounds of various chemo radiotherapy and brachytherapy, all to no avail. I am now incurable so my message to anyone who attends post menopausal bleeding clinics is Insist on having all the diagnostic tests done. I had a gut instinct that all was not well but let myself believe the gynaecologist knew better than me. As vaginal cancer is so rare it's not the first diagnosis that springs to mind despite my previous history of abnormal cells I was fobbed off. Please don't let this happen to you 

• Hi  and welcome to the group.

It’s really hard to know what to say, but thank you so much for sharing your story. I was more fortunate in my referral for post menopausal bleeding in that I was taken seriously immediately, as I had a visible tumour on my cervix growing into the vaginal wall, and it’s difficult to see that not happening for others. My cancer wasn’t vaginal but cervical, but I come into this group due to the surgery I had (if you hit my name you will see my bio) and the fact that I lost my vagina as part of that.

The group can be quiet because as you say it’s a rare cancer, but your story will I hope make others aware of the need to advocate for themselves when they feel something is wrong. Post menopausal bleeding always needs to be properly investigated and I’m so sorry that yours wasn’t more fully checked out.

Do you mind me asking if you are on any treatment currently? Are there any other options to keep you stable in terms of further chemo or immunotherapy? Your story and message to women here is appreciated, and please feel to come back and post if you’d like to do that.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi SarahH21,. Thank you for your reply. I've read your blog and it appears you have been through a really tough time. I' m so glad that you are doing well at present. I requested exenteration surgery when I was first diagnosed but my oncologist was against it saying chemo and radiotherapy were proven to be the standard treatment. If this cured the pelvic nodes then surgery could be considered. I underwent six rounds of chemo then combined chemo and five weeks of radiotherapy followed by four sessions of brachytherapy. There was some success, the 2.5 cm tumour in the vagina completely vanished but on my three month follow up scan the pelvic nodes showed hot spots once again. Six months later the pelvic nodes had increased and the vaginal tumour was active again. More chemo followed but after three rounds it showed I had a mixed response and as it was making me so I'll it was abandoned. I was told it was incurable and would need to be managed. I was put forward for clinical trial but it took a further five months to find something suitable. I was coping pretty well and living life as normal until about two months ago. I developed a severe urinary tract infection that laid me low for six weeks. Just as I thought I was improving I developed acute spontaneous urinary incontinence. Scans show I have developed a fistula between my bladder and vagina and urine literally pumps continuously through the vagina. Urology will not offer any surgery to fix it due to the poor quality of the surrounding tissue. I had an indwelling catheter fitted two weeks ago which is very uncomfortable and offers little in effectiveness as the urine still prefers to use the vaginal route. I can't really go anywhere as when I'm mobile the leakage is worse. I feel like a prisoner in my home. I started clinical trials about six weeks ago and delayed a couple of treatments due to my UTIs.  I am now considering giving up on the trial as I see little point in trying to extend my life if it means spending day after day sitting in my own urine and never leaving the house for fear of accidents and not being able to find a loo. My clinical trial doctors are going to approach urology again to ask them to reconsider other options. I hope I will know more by the end of the week.

• Hi 

I’m glad you’ve come back on but I’m sad to read all you’ve been through. I have a number of friends who have dealt with fistulas so I have some understanding of how miserable they are to live with. Would urology consider a nephrostomy for you where the tube goes directly in through your back and connects to a bag outside? Several friends have had this done where they weren’t suitable for the exenteration surgery. Not ideal, but better than the leaking. 

It’s just an impossible situation for you to deal with at the moment and I do understand what it’s like not to be able to leave the house for fear of leaking. In my case, with a urostomy, it never stops either, and I’ve had periods where my bag hasn’t been effective for whatever reason, and I’ve spent the whole time day and night in my own urine. But that was maybe for a couple of weeks at a time until I found a solution. so nothing like what you are having to go through. But it’s exhausting, depressing and utterly miserable so I empathise on that score. 

I hope you can find out more before you make any decision to come off the trial, and hope there can be something positive for you.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi SarahH21

Thank you for your reply. I'm glad you have some understanding of what it's like to live with incontnence. I expected that as my disease progressed I would be faced with many challenges but this was not one I had even considered.

I was referred  to bladder and bowel care nurses in the community who are not particularly helpful. Told the best they can do is provide me with 3 Tena pads a day (not even the heavy duty ones) I'm using on average 12 a day. Good job I can afford to buy them. I'm sure not everyone can afford to spend £30 a week on protection.

I get the impression that incontinence is not taken as a very serious issue amongst health professionals, yet to me this has been the most devestating by product of all the treatments I've undergone so far. I thought nothing could top losing my hair but this is on another level.  I am due for my next clinical trial assessment on Thursday so hopefully my doctor will maybe have some positive news regarding an alternative solution to the catheter. I'm not sure if they will offer nephrostomies.. I had ureteric stents fitted about 10 weeks ago and nephrostomies were discussed as a last resort then. I wasn't keen on the idea then but I had pressure on the ureter from an enlarged lymph node pressing on it, so they decided to stent both sides to get me on the trial. I think my UTI's stemmed from this procedure as I've had discomfort ever since.  How do your friends manage with nephrostomies? It sounds very invasive plus impractical in terms of showering, sleeping etc.

Thank you for taking the time to offer support and advice. I am quite a strong character and have taken everything in my stride up until now, always looking on the positive side despite knowing the odds have always been against me.

I first looked at this forum 18 months ago but didn't post because I felt I could cope with what lay before me alone  I now feel I have reached the peak of what I can cope with emotionally. I'm avoiding having visitors for fear of not being able to hold it together in their presence. I don't want close friends and family to feel I am pushing them away so I really need to get a grip and not to allow myself to be overwhelmed by the situation.

Anyway, I will post again if and when I am offered a better option for my problem. I really hope you continue to make progress in your own battle  and  that you are able to enjoy each day. Take care and much love xx

HopeC

• Hi 

I think unless someone has suffered with incontinence in any way they have no real idea of the hugely negative impact it has on your life-it’s exhausting to deal with and you never get a break from it in the situations we have found ourselves-me because I don’t have a bladder any longer to store urine, and you because the fistula stops your bladder from storing it. 

I basically couldn’t get up or get about when my bags stopped working for me and I used multiple puppy pads while lying on a waterproof mattress protector. Cheaper than Tena! I actually think it’s shocking that you’re limited in the supplies you can get to deal with this.

I also know ladies with the stents who report multiple UTIs and discomfort, though they report the stents have helped.

I tried to cope alone when I was first diagnosed, told minimal people, didn’t want to discuss it and didn’t join support groups. I thought I could manage, but it probably wasn’t the best way. I only joined the community here well after my surgery. Then I was concerned that my story might scare people who were newly diagnosed so that was another concern. I got myself into a very dark place mentally almost a year after never my surgery, never saw anyone, never went out. I got some free counselling sessions via Macmillan and they definitely helped. If you think this could be helpful for you, you can call the support number in my signature to discuss this.

You sound like you have tried to cope alone but it’s all getting too much now, and I completely get that. We cannot be strong all of the time, we cannot protect others all of the time..it’s just too hard with an advanced cancer diagnosis, it’s hard to know what to do for the best, but it helped me to talk with the counsellor, and I am less inclined these days to say “I’m fine” on days when I’m not. Hardly anyone knows about my surgery-I mean, how do I bring it up that I have 2 stomas and had everything in my pelvis removed? A real conversation stopper! But on reflection I probably wish I had talked about it as everyone now really does think I’m fine, when that’s not the reality.

Right, the nephrostomies. I asked 3 friends who have them, and the view from all of them was that it was a difficult procedure to undergo. Sleeping was tough for 2 of them, one not so much as she keeps the bag outside the bed, but showering is ok with it covered up with special dressings called Tegaderm.  The tubes need changing every couple of months. My friends were in the position that these were needed to save their lives so they didn’t have a choice, but it is tough. If it could improve your quality of life though, it could be worth it.

I know we have a different cancer, and have gone down different paths, but I’m around the groups every day if you need a friend, and I’m always happy to listen and offer any support I can. This is a huge deal emotionally, and I don’t think the doctors always fully understand or appreciate that. Thank you for your kind wishes-much appreciated.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi SarahH21,. I hear what you're saying about the counseling. I've not really wanted to talk about my situation unless someone can offer me a solution to the practical problems that have arisen along the way. I don't think anyone can say anything that will change the way I feel at the moment. It does get wearing trying to put on a brave face constantly because you don't want to see your loved ones suffer. I try to save my darkest moments for when I know I will be alone.

Thank you for the advice on the nephrostomies. It sounds daunting but at the moment living with my existing problem is becoming unbearable so I'm going to have to consider any alternative solution if I'm fortunate enough to be offered.

Thank you for your support, it has helped today to have contact with someone who has walked in my shoes and understands exactly how I am feeling. I will post again when I have an update. Much love xx

HopeC

• Hi Hope

I found it easier to talk to a stranger than anyone close to me, which is what made the counselling useful for me but I understand it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I’m not sure about it changing the way you feel, but just being able to unpack all the stuff in your head can be a helpful thing.

We are similar in trying to protect those around us-I did my crying alone, told my worst fears only to my little cat, and always put on a “brave face” to the outside world and family. So I had no-one to acknowledge how I was feeling, and it was an incredibly lonely path to tread. I wasn’t given great odds for my surgery, and hardly anyone knew what I was to go through. The counsellor said the words to me “you ARE brave” and I’ve never forgotten that, but because I didn’t tell people anything I think they assumed I was maybe having a hysterectomy or a breast removed. 

The nephrostomies are daunting, but if they are offered would maybe give you some relief. Unless you know what it’s like to spend your time covered in urine, you can’t appreciate how hard it is to live like that. I have the double whammy of also being covered in poo on a regular basis due to having the colostomy! But my situation is not nearly as difficult as yours.

Very few people understand all of this but I can understand much of it due to my own experiences and I know it can be easier to talk about these things with a stranger on a forum. It helps me. 

I’m sending you a gentle virtual hug and we can talk anytime you’d like to.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi SarahH21,  Just to say thank you for your support the other day. I was struggling to cope with the discomfort of my indwelling catheter and the start of a new UTI.  I visited my trial doctor yesterday and they agreed it should be removed as it offered little solution to my leakage. It seems that they are open to keeping me on the trial if my local oncologist can arrange for urology to reconsider an alternative option of draining the urine, providing I can keep infection under control. They think it might be a good idea to try and continue for a couple of months just to see if the immunotherapy has any positive effects.  I do feel better having shared my problem with you. My family are very supportive but find it hard to manage their emotions. I've always been the one everyone turns to when they have issues because I tend to react to situations logically rather than allow my emotions to rule my actions. I get fed up with being told I'm strong and brave as I'm sure you do. When you have a terminal illness you just have to accept it and squeeze any joy out of what time you have left. I don't see that as being brave,  I see it more as the obvious approach to take in this situation.  I admire that you feel able to support women on this forum whilst you have your own battle to deal with. I have some idea of your surgery as it was going to be my second option after my initial chemo radiotherapy had it been successful. I researched the topic extensively and know how barbaric and life changing the surgery is, so you have great respect from me for having the courage to go through with it. 

I am feeling in a much better place today since removal of my catheter despite the fact I have a brewing UTI. At least now I can move about without it pressing on my sensitive bits which is a blessing. It's all about looking for the positives isn't it!!

Thank you for your virtual hug, I did feel it wrap around me and offer comfort. I return the gesture and to anyone else who is feeling low and reads the forum. Though I know vaginal cancer forum doesn't have many followers it's nice to know there are people like yourself who want to offer support. Take care, much love.xx

Hope

• Hi Hope

I’m so glad things are feeling a bit easier with the catheter removed, and hope that urology can look at other options for you. And staying on immunotherapy will hopefully also see good results.

It’s all about looking for the silver linings where we can I think. I do try really hard to do that, but sometimes, like yesterday it can be challenging! I had my urostomy bag burst twice in quick succession so up and down stairs, two sets of clothes in the wash and it was hard to find a positive, so I ended up in tears-mainly of frustration. But it didn’t leak in the night, and I have woken up in a happier frame of mind today! 

The things which really annoyed me and still do, are people saying “be strong”, “be positive” and “you can do it”. Meaningless words to me from people who are trying to be helpful but it just grinds my gears! They have no idea in the world what this is all like.

I decided to join this group as I felt I could hopefully have some understanding, even though I have a different cancer, of what other ladies were going through and hopefully be able to offer some support and empathy. It is a quiet group, but you never know who might be reading and not posting, but getting some help from what they read here.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi SarahH21,

Sorry to hear of  your recent issues, I know what you mean about the frustration of living with leaking issues. I sometimes get copious leakage and seem to spend several sessions in the bathroom washing and changing. It gets you down on days when your resolve is not so strong.

I too get tired of being told 'you can beat this', I don't bother any more on  pointing out the reality of my prognosis. I'm sure it's difficult for others to know what to say. I lost two very good friends to cancer 15 and 12 years ago. I thought I was the most supportive and empathetic soul going. When I look back I realise I didn't have a clue about the turmoil they were suffering. I'm sure I must have offered many crass platitudes hoping it might give encouragement. I feel sad to the core that I couldn't have been a better support now that I really understand their situation.

On a brighter note, I managed a short journey out yesterday. Although I was back within the hour it felt good to experience a touch of normality. As you say 'you have to look for the silver linings'.  Let's hope tomorrow is good day with lots of silver linings!!

Hope xx