Treatment Starting soon

• 2 replies
  • 4 subscribers

Hi newly diagnosed and am starting chemoradiotherapy on the 24th. I’ve been told to get a cushion to sit on once side effects start from radio. Does anyone have any ideas where to buy these from and what sort please? Thanks. Also any ideas on what to expect from both chemo and radio please, thanks

• Hi .Can I offer you a warm welcome to the Macmillan Online Community. I’m sorry to read about your diagnosis but I’m glad you’ve found us.

My cancer is different, I had Brachytherapy (Internal high dose radiotherapy) so can't offer any information on chemo and external radiotherapy, nor where you can obtain cushions so sorry I can't help but hopefully someone will be along soon to reply.

A cancer diagnosis of any kind makes us ask lots of questions, causes confusion, stress and probably emotions we’ve never experienced before. We all agree, the endless waiting for tests, results and Consultations is so debilitating so to be able to talk to other people who are in the same situation will help you get through this. The Macmillan Community is organised into dedicated support hubs. You’ve joined our Vaginal cancer group, this will be a good place to meet up with others making the same type of cancer journey.

The Macmillan Support Services also provide lots of information, support, financial guidance or just someone to listen.

Most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00 have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Heartinuk.

I finished chemoradiotherapy four days ago. I'm guessing that the kind of cushion you were advised to get would be ring - shaped, though personally I haven't felt that I've needed to sit on a cushion.

Any ill effects from chemo were well controlled with medication. As I was told to expect, my skin has become increasingly sore, and will continue to get worse until it starts to improve 10 days after radiotherapy completion. I've had great hospital support and have been armed with various creams and medication. My advice would be, if you can, concentrate on yourself for the next few weeks. Also, I've found that wearing my husband's boxer shorts are most comfortable, and lying on the bed and allowing the air to circulate really helps.

I hope this is useful. Hope all goes well!