New Diagnosis

• 17 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Hi 

I received my diagnosis last week so keen to hear any tips from those further along the journey. The plan is Chemo before surgery. One question to start- how soon after the first oncology appointment does Chemo usually start? 

• Hi Kaza1, not too bad thanks, not had any nausea, but very constipated!!! Thinking of ringing the hospital help line to see what medication I can take for it. Tried drinking loads, and eating more veg, is helping a bit. Otherwise ok. My lump was giving me a fair bit of pain for the last couple of weeks, that seems much better already 3 days in, which makes me feel more positive as hopefully that means inflammation is a bit less.

All the best for your first treatment x

• Oh constipation is so uncomfortable- good idea to ring for some advice. Which chemo did you have? 
    Im glad you don’t have too many other side effects. I think drinking water is very important so I’ll make sure to take plenty with me. 

That’s really positive that your lump is less painful- it must make you feel it’s worthwhile going through all this. 

Im feeling organised for tomorrow and so just hoping it goes smoothly. 

Take care of yourself and hope you feel more comfortable soon x

• I'm on 12 weeks of Paclitaxel first, then 8 weeks of EC, in it for the long haul! I was given steroid tablets for 3 days as well, I think that might be adding to my issues. Meant to also say sleep is only about 4 hours a night atm as well, so lots of resting in the day. Must be so much harder for people with children to care for going through this, at least I can sleep whenever. Lots of middle of the night Netflix at the moment. 

I'm going to ring the helpline now and see what they say.

Take care x

• Ah yes I think the steroids have all sorts of side effects. I’m glad you’re getting some advice so I hope it helps.  
    I’d forgotten that sleeplessness will be a problem- hope you’ve got some good Netflix series to watch. It must be so hard with little ones around. 
    I hope you can get outside for a little walk soon if the sunshine continues. 

• Hi Kaza1, just in case you need to know, hope you don't! HelpLine has told me senokot best thing to take, fine alongside my treatment. Phew, hopefully much better tomorrow Slight smile. Yes I'm taking short walks to get some air, getting outside is so important for me. Have managed to get out last couple of days. Watching Maid ATM on Netflix.

Take care x

• That’s good that you’ve got something to take - hope it works soon. Hope I don’t need it but it’s good to know in case. 
    I’ve seen the Maid too - it’s gripping so it’ll take your mind off anything else. 
    Glad you’ve been outside in the sunshine Sunny️ 

• My diagnosis was February the 8th my treatment begins 10th April so I fit into the 62 days criteria as set by the Government.