Hola! Just diagnosed

• 4 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Just been diagnosed today.  I live in Spain so being treated under the Spanish Health Service.  Luckily my surgeon speaks fairly good English and I had an interpreter available.  I have basic Spanish but when I get nervous it deserts me.  

My tumour is 11mm and she reckons we’ve caught it fairly early.  The plan is to remove it as early as possible in January, Spain closes down for 3 Kings so not possible before.  Trying to not worry and enjoy Christmas.  It’s a tough one though,  I didn’t really realise until I came home today and googled the implications of it being triple negative.  I think her explanation went right over my head.  I’ve had bloods done today, back next week to do the pre-anaesthetic tests and impatiently await an op date.  One day at a time.

• Hi  

It sounds like your TNBC was caught at a similar stage to mine. I was recalled from a routine mammogram because they wanted to check a area which they thought could be DCIS. I did have an area of DCIS but the more enhanced mammogram I had at my re-check also found a tiny lump which, after being biopsied, turned out to be Grade 3 TNBC.

I had surgery about 3 weeks later then 15 rounds of chemo, 3 EC and 12 paclitaxel, and I'll be starting 10 lots of radiotherapy at the beginning of January.

I wondered what you meant when you said that you "didn't really realise....the implications of it being triple negative"?

I found the best way to get through all this was to just take it one day at a time by just concentrating on what was immediately happening rather than thinking too far into the future. Fortunately, I didn't have any problems with either the surgery or the chemo, apart from losing my hair which is now growing back, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be similarly fortunate with radiotherapy.

Happy to answer any questions you might have or share my experiences in greater details.

Feliz Navidad

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks Latchbrook, I think I was like a rabbit in headlights and after hearing lump was malignant, I kind of switched off.  She seemed confident that she could remove it successfully, it’s fairly superficial, palpable and visible. On ultrasound, lymph nodes showing clear but they will inject iron in during tumorectomy, then ultrasound and biopsy, I think?? I  Her English was heavily accented so I’m sure I missed quite a lot.  I think maybe I need to ask for clarification.  I hadn’t researched any cancer types prior to appointment so the triple negative tyoe was something I wasn’t really aware of and I’m not even sure at this stage I know exactly what it really is.    From paperwork she gave me for haematology department,  shows I have IDC triple negative luminal B.  I’m also a one day at a time person, so op next and then take it as it comes.   

• Feliz Navidad to you too!  I think with everything that’s going on I’ve forgotten it’s Christmas.  A balmy 23 degrees today so getting out and about as much as I can.

• Update, surgery scheduled for the 12th of January.   Moving forward albeit slowly x