Mammogram with dense breast tissue

• 3 replies
  • 30 subscribers

I had triple neg 3 years ago, I had therapeutic mammoplasty  chemo and radio. My cancer was picked up by an mri of my upper abdominal area, liver etc. When I was called to the breast unit , the cancer  didn't show on the mammogram  but ultrasound and biopsy confirmed it .The surgeon said I had dense breast tissue and that is why it wasn't  detected on the mammogram.I was so lucky I had that mri.

As a result I don't feel the reassurance I should from annual mammograms.

Has anyone been offered any other screening ? The lady that did my last mammogram said she had been talking to colleagues about 'what about women with dense tissue  and accuracy of mammogram'

Apologies for waffling

Thanks for reading x

• Hi Lot21

Sorry to hear that you had triple negative 3 years ago and that you aren't feeling reassured from your annual mammograms due to having dense breast tissue.  Absolutely no need to apologise for waffling, that's what the community is here for. While I can't help you with your query I thought I'd reply to you anyway to say welcome to the community.  I noticed that you are a member of the Breast Cancer Forum as well so I suggest that you put your question in there as well as it's a busier forum than this one.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you ,

Best wishes 

Lot

• I am interested in this as I had two different triple neg breast cancers 10 years apart. My mammograms always state dense breast tissue. They always say I am okay. ??  Am I not??