5 year plus survivor

• 14 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi all. I’ve just come onto this forum after many years. I was diagnosed stage 3 tnbc in dec 2018 at 38 yrs. Turns out im BRACA 2 positive. I had all the treatment and I passed my 5 year point in December without recurrence. Just wanted to pop back to share some hope. I (and my oncologist) were sure I’d turn metastatic at some point. But it’s now less than 5% likely that will happen. So please don’t give up hope xx 

• Hi Jane80 welcome back to the forum. Thank you so very much for sharing your story and your messages of hope for others. Stories like yours make it more real for people and they can hear from people who have been there and  what it is like and most importantly come out the other side. Thank you so much for sharing this and I m sending some huge big congratulatory hugs your way for now. x

gail

Community Champion Badge

• That’s amazing so glad you’re doing so well , and thank you for sharing you’re positivity .

• Hello

What fantastic news! I have been searching for weeks and weeks trying to find a story of someone who has made it to the 5 year mark without recurrance for a little bit of hope, so thank you! Congratulations and big hugs xxx

• Hi just wanted to add to give you even more hope for a positive outcome. I am 10 years since I was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer that had spread to 2 of my lymph nodes. Chemo, lumpectomy and lymph node clearance and radiotherapy. 
     Treatments have come along way since I had mine, so keep positive.

Jo
  • Wow that’s amazing Jo so glad you are doing so well thank you for sharing such positivity sending hugs x

• Wow that's amazing!!! congratulations Jo! Thank you for sharing!!! Big hugs xxx

• So good to read these incredible life stories. It brings hope and positivity which we could all do with right about now going through treatment! Thank you so much xx 

• What amazing news Jane80 long may it continue for you. Can I ask if you do anything to help prevent a recurrence such as diet etc? Thanks for any reply

• Hi Staggy. I’m pretty sure it is luck of the draw. But I definitely am fitter post cancer than I was before. I exercise (run/strength train/walk) not to excess but certainly more than I did before. It helps my mental health hugely and as I’m BRCA 2 positive and had my ovaries removed once treatment ended (putting me in menopause at 38) it’s important for my heart and bone health (I’m not able to have HRT and my bones have already lost a lot of density). There are studies that say moderate exercise at least 3 x a week reduces risk of recurrence. It certainly can’t hurt! Other than that I drink much less alcohol than before (I only drink on weekends and rarely more than 1 or 2 a day - unless it’s a special occasion/holiday) I  keep to a healthy weight. No particular diet though . I try and enjoy my life as much as possible but balance that with health . But as I said I really think it’s luck of the draw. Xxx 

• Wow fantastic news! May I ask how you coped with surgical menopause? I am currently going through treatment for tnbc and have just found out today  I have brca1 mutation. During my conversation with genetics clinic we touched in mastectomy and oophorectomy, yesterday another curve-ball but know this is something I will need to have now I have today's results.

XxX