Hair

• 69 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hello

ive just started treatment ( chemo )

I am mentally struggling with the thought of losing my hair.

i have tried every bit of headwear I can get my hands on.

i just don’t suit any of it.

i know there are bigger things to be stressing over but out of all the journey this was has me beat.

do I also shave before it falls or just let it fall ?

Thankyou 

• Thank you Kiiaa 

I’m managing well all things considered but just worried now about what’s to come when I start to lose my hair. 
    I’ve booked a wig appointment next week so maybe time for a new look. .  
    Hope you’re ok and your drugs are keeping you feeling nausea free x

• Hi Duffy09, did you try the cold cap? I’m now week 8 and have been using the cold cap from the start, I’ve lost about hails of my hair but still persevering as I have locs. Does anyone else on this community have locs and had any success? It’s so hard to know what to do to be honest, but I would also recommend Deserina as they have a huge choice of beanies which you may get on with?? Hope this helps xx 

• Hi DenM

It sounds like the cold cap is working for you - that’s good. 

I’m really struggling losing my hair, which is coming out in clumps but I’m trying to comb regularly and not touch it too much otherwise but it’s not easy. I’m Day 18 after my first EC so it’s been like this for the past 3 days. How much longer do you think it will take to fall out completely? I’m trying not to worry. My nurse said ‘Hair is over rated’ but it’s easier said than done  

I’ve bought some more hats - at least it’s winter so won’t look too odd. 
    Yes Deserina are a good fit and nice styles. 

Hope everyone is managing well with their treatments xxx

• Hi Kaza1, not sure how long it will take to fall out I suppose it’s whether you decide to wait or shave it off which is the question? How would you feel about that? I’ve lost 50 percent of my hair so far but will carry on with the cold cap for now. How are your nails? My finger nails are sore and my toe nails a little bit too, so many things on the outside to take into consideration but I know we’ve all got this!! Xx we are strong!! 

• Hi again, my hair fell out in clumps after week 3 on paclitaxel so I got my husband to shave it off. I've got a good wig which is nicer than my own hair and also wear the stretchy snoods which I used to wear for cycling. Outside I was just wearing my outdoor hats. My eyelashes fell out more or less after treatment one of EC and that's been worse as my eyes get sore. They say hair grows back 3 to 6 months after treatment ends as a general rule. Given all of the other side effects I've had, I haven't been that bothered about my hair but I guess everyone feels differently. Nice scarves and earrings as a distraction? A pair of glasses with no prescription can be a fashion accessory. Take care x

• Hi Jocasta, did you also have sore fingernails and toenails? I agree with you, nice earrings help!! Xx 

• Oh I forgot to include that... I have a feeling of tightness behind my fingernails, but then I have terrible peripheral-neuropathy in my feet so I only notice that in my feet. It's really uncomfortable so I'm wearing compression socks. I'm vitamin B12 deficient so I'm going to be starting injections. I'm hoping this will help!

• Such weird feelings all round!!! Thank you so much for that xx 

• Sadly, I've had a whole host of awful side effects. I think the only thing I've not had is physical sickness or a blood clot. My chemo finished last Thursday and I hope I never have to go through it again. 

• Well I’ve still got nails and no pain. I am using masses of handcream and cuticle oil on finger and toe nails so hope they stay ok. 
    I’ve still got eyelashes and I think my eyebrows are growing slightly with UK lash. 
    Im not sure I can do the head shave thing - I’ve got a few big bumps on my head - goodness knows where from! I’ll see what my hairdresser says. 
    I’m in the routine of hair combing now and getting less stressed. 
    as you say there are far worse things to worry about so wishing you all a smooth ride. 
    Hoping now that you’ve finished Jocasta things will improve. 
    One way or another we’ll all get there especially with each others support - sending hugs Hugging