Decision to Continue Treatment

  • 3 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Hello All,

I have had 3 different types of breast cancer in the last seven yrs. The most recent kind showed up in my shoulder area entwined with nerves, very painful, but inoperable. Triple negative.

I went through six months of chemo (for the 2nd time) and intense radiation (for the 2nd time) and it appeared to be gone. It showed up again this past winter. I tried Xeloda and it did not work. Now I am getting Haverlen every two weeks with one week off in between. The Dr. says this is "pallative" care. I'm 62 and had to retire early in April.

The continuing side effects are making it tough to have a good quality of life. I really am comtemplating to stop treatment altogether. I am going to ask my Dr. to give me the next month off so I can get stronger. As you may know, this stuff makes me anemic. Along with a very long list of syptoms. I realize that my situation could be worse than it is, but it is MY situation.

I cannot go anywhere (travel) due to the immunity deficiency and I have two daughters that live out of town. I have a good support system with my siblings that live near me.

I guess I just wanted some feedback from the group while I try to decide if I should continue. 

Thank you andI appreciate any feedback!

  • Hi Gartskid,

    I really feel for you, you have been through so, so much. I couldn’t offer advice but I think you will know what feels right for you. I would definitely take time to decide and gain professional advice. You may be feeling overwhelmed and worn out at the moment which is also playing it’s part. Also you don’t need to justify your situation as you say it’s your situation, you’re going through an awful lot and I don’t think you need to compare to others. You are allowed to say it’s bloody hard and tough because it absolutely is. I’m sorry I can’t be of any help but I will be thinking of you. I just wanted to comment to show support Heart️. Sending strength to you x

  • I am sorry you are in this situation and facing a decision none of us want to be in the position of having to take. None of us are living in your shoes but I can certainly understand the desire to prioritise the quality of the time you have left over the quantity. I think you will know when you have reached that point, and you shouldn’t need to justify it. All the best. 

  • Hi GartsKid

    Sorry to hear that you find yourself in the situation of whether to continue treatment or not. While I can't advice you, it's completely up to you whether or not you want to continue with your treatment I feel for you.

    Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

    Best wishes


    Community Champion Badge