Tips that might be helpful

• 9 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Hi everyone

I had my second cycle of FEC and I tolerated it much better than the first. I was able to anticipate the side effects I had from my first cycle and was able to manage better. Following are few tips that might help others:

1- I got my antiemetic changed to Emend rather than Ondasterone and took it one hour before going for chemo. Then they gave me intravenous ondasterone before starting the chemo as these two drugs act on different receptors. That made a lot of difference and was not nauseous at all after coming back home

2- Those who have headache can have paracetamol before going for chemo, that also helps

3- As you have to take dexamethasone after coming back and it is notorious for causing mucositis and gastritis , oral lansoprazole dispersive tablet early in the morning before going to chemo helps a lot. Eating ice lollies, sucking on to ice cubes and cold milk shakes also hep a lot to calm down gastritis. Gaviscon suspension is also helpful.   

4- After coming back do take your antiemetics regularly rather than waiting for becoming nauseous in the first 24 hours, that helps you to keep yourself hydrated and you are able to eat as well

5- if you are having hair loss, cut them short because the longer they are, they gut stuck in the viable hair and cause dragging sensation and soreness of scalp. Use of coconut oil or any soothing oil helps a lot to calm your scalp and helps you sleep easily on your pillow  

5- Benzydamine mouthwash is the best to prevent mouth sores and ulcers 

I hope these tips will be helpful for some of you  

Good luck to all who are passing through this difficult phase. May it be easy for you all.

• Hi TNBC50 Welcome to the forum and I am astonished that in the midst of all that you are going through that you think of others and thats one special person so thank you for sharing  these tips with everyone. I feel certain that lots of folks going through this will be so glad of these tips and as you have found out it is useful info  for others so thank you again for sharing. xxxx

gail

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

That’s really helpful, thank you. I posted the other day about how utterly dreadful I’ve felt after my fist dose of EC (so fatigued I had to have assistance to walk in the end, nausea unmanageable so I could barely eat for 5 days, etc). I’m on a better anti-emetic combo now although still nauseous and appetite very low at day 11, but can eat a small meal once a day at least. 

I’m hoping the second dose is better than the first. Thank you for your thoughts xx

• Hi Dogmother 90

sorry to hear that you are suffering from nausea for so many days. I have found Emend and Ondasterone very helpful. Metoclopramide intramuscular injections are also very effective. 
    Another thing I found helpful was that Dexamethasone that you have to take bid initially for the first 3 days should only be taken during the day. One dose after breakfast and one after lunch , no later than 5pm. This drug effects your sleep a lot. So don’t leave it till late.  I hope and pray your second dose goes better. Good luck 

• Hi Granny59

Thank you for your kind appreciation. I hope you are doing well. These forums are a blessing for people like us and just want everyone who is suffering and facing difficulties during treatment find some ease and comfort. That’s all we can share with each other at the moment. 

• Dogmother 90 I am so glad to hear what you said about Dextramethasone.  I thought I had to take all four of my tablets together in the am  not that I could use them thoughout the day!  WIll try that today.  Been very very lucky with first round of EC this week.  Only really had the bad nausea for the first eighteen hours and snuggled up in my bed as walking upright was a struggle, then the horrible hangover.  Still very bilious and bloated on day three so eating smaller meals more regularly is helping and lots of yoghurt, and smoothies because they are so easy and refreshing,  Gwennie 

• dogmother19 I will  be with you on this trip as I had my first dose of EC on Tuesday.  Am really sorry to hear you were so adversely effected and feel blessed that I had fewer issues.  From the afternoon post chemo I retired to my bed as could not walk upright and had the most dreadful nausea and jaw earache.  Managed a mouthful of dinner and gave up bu later in the evening had yoghurt and think this did quell some of the nausea.  Burped for England and could have won a contest anywhere in the world!   The hangover on day two was dire.  Paracetamol helped and today, day three I just seem to have a bloated belly and discomfort there.  I have a diary sheet that the hospital give me to record my daily symptoms so will take that back with me next week to see if anything needs changing. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to TNBC50

Hi  

Sorry about the very late reply. I am much better now. I’ve got a change in anti-emetics to the same combination you’re on, which I’m really pleased about, for the next cycle. I’ve had a long delay since my first dose because I was so unwell and my neutrophil level is still not high enough to continue - this is despite me being on GCSF. Anyway, I’m much more confident about the next dose and thank you for your support and advice xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Gwenniepennie

Thanks  I’m hoping that the next cycle will be much better, and I’ll follow your advice about paracetamol too. I hope you’re doing ok Heart️

• So glad you are better DOgmother19 and that you can move on and that fingers crossed your next round is easier. I fear our initial reactions are very similar.  I am currently in hospital on IV AB’s and have .1 of a neutaphil and anaemia.  Can’t see my second round taking place next week but have an Oncology consult today and tomorrow. I like you am looking for improvements!  One change is Simethicone for the dreadful wind that I have endured (burping), which had been incessant!  I have now also stopped eating hot food and drinks as found this caused more discomfort. I now let my food cool down a lot before I eat and fortunately my taste is not affected so I still enjoy it.