Not sure how I should be feeling....

• 1 reply
  • 19 subscribers

Hi Everyone,

So my mum was diagnosed with TNBC last July. Tumour was 5cm and 2 suspected positive lymph nodes. She completed 9 x PC chemo and 3 cycles of EC chemo. She had an MRI scan halfway through and the tumour (after 9 weekly PC) and it had only shrunk by 5 mm, which we were a bit upset about.

After chemo, she had a single mastectomy and full axillary node clearance.

Today we received the results from the pathology report, and the tumour was actually 6 cm, and 4/18 lymph nodes contained cancer.  80% of the tumour was dead, with 20% residual, and they got clear margins.

Not sure how to feel about these results. I'm thinking either they got the measurements of 5cm incorrect, or the tumour grew during EC chemo, and also spread to more lymph nodes?

I'm pleased about the clear margins, but also struggling to understand how the volume can decrease by 80%, but it can also grow at the same time?? all very confusing.

It has been suggested radiotherapy next for chest wall and collar bone, but no mention of Xeloda…. and i'm not sure why.

Everyone I have spoken to have replied with a sorry/pity look on their face and I'm worried this does not provide a good outlook for the future.

Any advice/positive stories?

• Hi

I can't answer your questions about the change to the size of your mum's tumour but by replying to you it will 'bump' your post back to the top of the discussions list where it might be seen by someone who can help you further.

You might also like to join and post in the main breast cancer group as it's 'busier' than this one and so more opportunity to find someone who's had the same or similar experience to your mum. If this is something that you'd like to do clicking on the link I've created will take you there.

When you have a minute, it would be really useful if you could pop something about your mum's journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"