Good outcomes

• 3 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Morning all

I haven't been on this forum for quite a few months but found it so helpful when I had my diagnosis.

A little about me.  I got diagnosed in April 2018.  Went alone to the initial appointment (pre-Covid) thinking I had another cyst.  I had a cyst approx 2 years before that in the same breast.  I knew something wasn't quite right when they started with the biopsy and then a Consultant came in and did an ultrasound.  I had to go back the week after and get the results - yes to breast cancer and we think it's TNBC, which got confirmed.

I decided to take part in a trial, called the Roscoe Trial, it was basically a trial to see what chemo, out of the 2 would be the first and how I responded.

My tumour was 27mm, no lymph node involvement.

I had 4 x Docetaxol first.  After this I had an MRI, my tumour had gone to 12mm so needed to carry on with chemo.  I then was down to have 4 x FEC.  After 3 FEC I was to have another MRI.  This showed that I had a complete pathological response to chemo - no tumour but they decided I would still have my last FEC at a reduced rate.

Two days before my last chemo, I woke in the night with a terrible pain in my side.  I took Ibruprofen and drank green tea convinced I'd got trapped wind!! The pain disapperared  but was advised to see my GP just in case I had an infection.  No, nothing.  In bed again, pain again so advised to go and get checked out at A & E.  I so wanted to do my last chemo later that afternoon but it turned out I had a Pulmonary Embolism and ended up in hospital for 3 days.  Anyway, had my last chemo the week after.

I was due to have a lumpectomy with LICAP surgery but this got delayed because of PE.  They were worried in case I had another.  Had to go through heart scan, ct scan for lungs to make sure it was safe to operate.  I just had the lumpectomy and 8 nodes removed for checking.  They would leave it a few months to see if I needed the other surgery   I'm not particularly big busted and they weren't sure if I would have a big dent.    I didn't need it in the end.

I went on to have 15 x radiotherapy.

My life is back to normal (the new normal).  I just wanted you ladies to know, in a long winded way, that having BC, especially TN is not a death sentence.  I worry about recurrence from time to time, don't think I would be human if I didn't.  I think we all get aches and pains after treatment that makes us worry.  I also get anxiety when I'm due my mammogram, which I am in Feb.  It was supposed to be December but got delayed.

I'm hoping all is well when I get the results.  

I just wanted to say to all you ladies (and men) who are starting their treatment, on those dark days,  there is light at the end of the tunnel.  You will come out the other side.

• Bluebell thank you! It was lovely to read such an honest and positive message. Hope all goes well with the mammogram x Personally, it was a real boost to read. I am 2 months post treatment now, anxious and getting used to the new normal! You made me feel very normal and positive. XxxxHearts

• Aww that's lovely, thank you.  Glad you've finished your treatment.  I was always very positive but alot of that was down to my BCN.  The first time I met her was the day I got diagnosed.  I was sat with my husband at the appointment and she said to me you're going to leave here feeling positive and I did.  A lady brought me a cup of tea and she had also had bc in the past.  All the volunteeers had.  My husband had lost his Mum to BC at 52  but she didn't tell anyone about her lump she'd found 3 years before.  She was so frightened to go to the doctors. I was at the doctors within a couple of weeks.  People are more prepated to go nowadays.

There are so many positive outcomes.  I know it's not always the case, and this disease takes alot of lives but more and more people survive.  You take care, try not to let the thought of recurrence over shadow everything x

• So lovely to hear positive treatments.  Have any of you been prescribed Zolendonic Acid after Surgery and Chemo.  Need advice