Newly Diagnosed Papillary Thyroid Cancer

• 12 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Hello,

Apologies in advance for the essay lol... I am 28 and have recently been told I have Papillary Thyroid Cancer. Feeling a bit surreal and like it's not happening to me because I am otherwise feeling well and fit/healthy and able. I am sort of looking for advice on whether or not it ever sinks in, as am concerned that I am in denial a bit. I have spoken to my parents and some friends about it in the hopes that would help it feel more real but it doesn't. I am scared that this is the tip of the iceberg at the moment as I have not yet had my initial CT scan to check if it has metastasized anywhere other than my thyroid & left-side lymph nodes in my neck (CT scan is next week). Although the consultant I saw on Monday that confirmed the news to me has said that it's rare for it to have spread elsewhere that quickly, since it is slow growing, I am concerned at the possibility it has because I put off having the lump in my throat checked for a long time. I also worry that because of this, although being told my cancer is stage 1, that this could change once the scan has been done. So feeling a bit like I don't know what to think or how this is really affecting me and will affect me going forward... I am due to go back to work tomorrow after a couple of days off and just not sure how I am supposed to concentrate or act when only my management team know what's going on, and I'm not sure if I want to share it with the rest of my team yet (if ever). 

Anyway that's a lot of info, I guess I just don't know what to do with myself.

• Hi I've just been  told I have papillary carcinoma thyroid cancer. I have been having treatment for melanoma to stop it coming back but stopped now as to many side effects and fortunately it's low risk of coming back. Now I've got to deal with thyroid cancer. Got to see surgeon once blood tests are back to normal. Having a ebus on Tuesday as swollen lymph node in chest hopefully it's just caused by infection as medication was causing a cough. I was not expecting it to be thyroid cancer. Two cancers in a row.

• Awwww I'm sorry to hear that Miss Mole.

Hopefully it is just of the infection Fingers crossed

Let us know how you get on x