Travel Insurance

• 4 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Hi. Please can anyone help with a travel insurance question? My daughter was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer in June 2020. She had micro metastasis to the lungs. She had a total thyroidectomy and radioactive iodine. Thankfully, she was given the all clear in October 2020 and needs no further treatment. She has yearly check ups and takes levothyroxine daily. There is a huge difference in price between the cancer being within her neck and spreading to other organs. She only had micro metastasis which the radio iodine destroyed. The questions on the insurance form imply she still has it. If, God forbid, we needed to use the travel insurance, say if she fell and broke a leg for example, would the insurance be invalid if we hadn't declared the micro metastasis? I understand if the claim was due to a cancer related reason, but unsure how it works if needing to claim for something else, unrelated to cancer? I hope this makes some sense?? Thank you.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm not a member of this forum but your subject title caught my eye.

Unfortunately, as your daughter has found, it can be more expensive to get travel insurance when a cancer diagnosis is involved. No matter how tempting it might be for your daughter to not mention the micro metastasis to obtain a cheaper quote, it really would be false economy if she needed to make a claim. Even if the claim was unrelated to her cancer diagnosis, the insurers might not pay out siting that they didn't know her full medical history when providing the quote.

We have a dedicated travel insurance forum for cancer patients in the online community. Clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. Once you've joined take a look through the threads called 'Recommended Travel Insurance' and Recommended travel insurance 2023-24', which you'll find on the first page. They are full of recommendations from other cancer patients who have got reasonably priced travel insurance.

I hope she can find some reasonably priced insurance and has some great holidays.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi  I was in a similar situation earlier this year and found out you can exclude certain medical conditions with some travel insurers. I was quoted over £1,000 for a week in France. I then discovered LV Travel Insurance would let me put in my medical condition (papillary thyroid cancer that had spread to lymph nodes in my neck (and I was still undergoing treatment)) and then choose to exclude it from my cover, which brought the cost down to £30. Obviously there was still risk involved as my condition wasn't covered but I was more concerned, like you, about needing to claim abroad for accidents etc which seemed more likely. Hope you and your daughter find a way to get her insured and have a lovely holiday

• Hi

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. It really is great to have this support available. I will most certainly click on the link. Travel insurance is a bit of a minefield. I completely understand what you are saying. It may be that we can find a company whereby we can exclude this condition and be covered for everything else. I'm sure we will be able to find a solution. Thanks again.

• Hi. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. This sounds like a great compromise. I would be happy to exclude this condition, taking the associated risk and have piece of mind to be covered for possible accidents whilst on holiday. I will certainly look into this. Thanks again. I hope you are getting through your treatment and are doing ok. My daughter was only ten years old when she was diagnosed.