Posture after thyroidectomy

• 4 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hi all!

I wanted to get people's thoughts on what they did or felt about their posture after thyroidectomy.

So I also slightly hunched my shoulders probably however in pictures and mirror I have noticed the one on side that had the largest thyroid nodule must be weaker as it dips down more. This means with tank tops the straps are always looser on this side!

I might be imagining a link between the two but it was more noticeable after op. Have you done physio or certain exercises to improve strength around the upper shoulder/back area?

• Hi I had total thyroidectomy just over 2 months ago my arms feel a bit weaker and I get aches and knee joint when walking up stairs.  I have a physical job and it does seem  a bit more of a struggle. Also had some twitching under eye today, I looked it up and could be something to do with calcium  or vitamin d levels. I'm still on calcium d3 tablets having blood tests soon. I was told to do neck exercises after op. My swallowing still feels funny sometimes.

• It is possible that your Spinal Accessory nerve (one of the cranial nerves) was damaged during the surgery.  This nerve innervates the trapezius and sternocleidomastoid muscles.  You should voice your concerns with your doctor and if this is the case, request physical therapy to build up the remaining muscles of your shoulder.  When you lose muscle function in the trapezius and sternocleidomastoid muscles your shoulder joint will not be stable (these muscles help keep the joint in place).  This happened to me, and just so you know, despite my shoulder droop and mostly missing trapezius and completely missing sternocleidomastoid muscles (they both atrophy when there is no nerve connection),  through physical therapy and some exercises I have nearly full function of my right arm (I just can't raise it laterally out to the side very well, as one would do when doing jumping jacks).

• Hi mojmoj,

Did you have a neck dissection aswell as the thyroidectomy? As CCRNandMTCsurvivor said, with a neck dissection it's common that the Spinal Accessory nerve gets damaged/bruised and that affects the shoulders. It certainly did mine. I had a bilateral ND and it took months of physio to get the movement and most of the strength back again. Still having trouble 15 months on with upper trapezius pain and because of this it has affected my shoulder position yes. I agree with getting onto your team as soon as possible and they can forward you to physio if needed.

Medullary Thyroid cancer dx May 2023

• Thanks for both of your replies! I only had a thyroidectomy no neck dissection so don't know if it's that in my case. But due to see the team so will mention, it could be because the larger nodule was on that side I put all my strength into the other shoulder XD