Thyroid cancer with lung mets causing trouble

• 4 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hi all, first time posting on here!

I’m looking for anyone with similar experience. I don’t know what I’m looking for from you, reassurance I guess?

I was diagnosed with papillary cancer, follicular variant in Jan 2022. It was already in lymph nodes in both sides of my neck and on my lungs at the time of diagnosis..

I discovered last week from my recent PET scan that I now have 2 RAI resistant tumours (one on each lung). I’m due to have a biopsy on one of these.

I’m desperately trying to stay positive but struggling today.

• Hi T.hoff123 and welcome although I'm sure you'd rather not be here! Sorry to read about your RAI resistant tumours on your lungs, that's not the results anyone wants to hear from the PET scan. I actually have a different variant, Medullary, which doesn't respond to RAI at all, so mine has been tackled surgically so far. Have you spoken to your team about your results yet or are you waiting for the biopsy results first? It's hard to stay positive all the time, I can certainly empathise with that, but they'll always be someone on the forum who you can chat to. I'll tag a couple of other members that might have more relevant experience to yours too,  I think has follicular variant papillary and   I think posted on here the other day and has papillary with lung mets.

• k9crazy,

Thank you so much for your reply. It can certainly seem like a lonely time so it’s great to have a response on here!

My team are thinking of taking a wait and watch approach for now but waiting on results of the biopsy to confirm this plan. Then when necessary start me on lenvatinib.

Thank you for the other tags, I’ll take a look at Tomos post x

• Hey T.Hoff123

I have the same variant as you but just found out yesterday it isn't anywhere but my neck so obviously found it in time.

It's very hard to remain positive all the time and I think that's completely normal as what you are facing is uncertainty and waiting for stuff to happen makes that's worse I think. I keep having moments of pulling away from everyone and living in my own world until it passes, thankfully people know that's what I'm doing. 

Fingers crossed for your biopsy I hope things start looking up for you, let us know how you get on 

• Hi TrinityTrace,

thank you so much for your reply. So glad that you have found it in time. I wish you the best of luck with your plan going forward.

Grateful for your kind and reassuring response. 

x