Symptoms of 125mg levothyroxine

• 2 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hello, a year ago I had a complete thyroidectomy. Since then I was put on 100 mg of levothyroixine for about 8 months, then they put me on 125mg since September time. Since then I've gained weight and cant seem to lose it! My eyes sting alot of the time and find it difficult sleeping the whole night. I'm tired, have mood swings, dark circles under my eyes! Feel like I've aged about 10 years! Can this happen if your dosage is too high?

• There are three possible explanations:

1. your dose is too high
    2. your dose is too low
    3. it's nothing to do with your dose.

The only way to get on top of the problem is to have regular blood tests and learn to interpret the results.

Everybody is different. 125 will be too much for some people and too little for others. Only the blood tests will confirm where you are on that spectrum.

Best wishes

Barbara

“Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous

• Hi

some people are lucky enough to get to their ideal level of levothyroxine quite quickly whilst others find it takes more time. The dose will certainly be related to your weight and may be adjusted because of your age in some circumstances. When I had half a thyroid I was able to eat well and lose weight but after a complete thyroidectomy I feel as though I have a good appetite but find weight control difficult. My GP has always been happy to check my bloods 8 weeks after a change of dose but you can press to have a blood test to see if you are at the right level. I have been told that when levothyroxine is at the correct level it should not affect your weight but I still find weight control difficult. Like you stingy eyes are an issue and I need to reapply drops during the night. I am still trying to find drops that work any better than a compress. I would press for a blood test.