Tight neck

• 12 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Hi 

I had my TT end of February and RAI in May this year. Healing well but I have now developed what I thought were “old” symptoms. My neck feels really tight and throat a bit soar. It comes and goes. I am now bending my head when I swallow as I’m scared of straining anything! Am I still healing? Thought I had passed this stage. Still panic every now and then. Xx

• I've had my RAI exactly 2 months after TT and neck dissection. It was on 23rd of July. I have to say now I truly feel I can go back to my old self when the treatment is over and just check ups left. My PET scan straight after RAI showed some uptake in thyroid bed and nowhere else which is good and expected. Means that RAI is killing all thyroid tissue that was left after surgery (apparently not possible to remove 100% of tissue at surgery) and it didn't spread nowhere else in the body. Don't get me wrong: my body isn't the same as before cancer (large scar,tablets everyday, accessory nerve damage-I cannot move/hold my left arm above my shoulder height and my shoulder hurts everyday) but as there was no choice I just adjusted to how I look and feel now. Alternative would be much worse.

I did feel rubbish after surgery. I truly was lying on the sofa for 4 weeks and let my mum do everything as I was really weak. But when time passed I felt stronger it's just took a while and all people are different and have their own pace. I am back at work now and doing ok. 

Any more questions just leave a comment and I will happily reply Slight smile

• Thank you @IsabellFel and I am very pleased to hear you are doing well even with your arm problem.  I severed a tendon in mine around 2/3 years ago and it took an age to heal, it was incredibly painful at the time and I couldn't do anything involving stretching up or lying on that side, at first I couldn't even wash the pots as the circular motion was causing me too much pain.  It reduced me to tears at times.  I suddenly realised when all this started with my thyroid problem and the lump I first discovered, that my arm wasn't hurting and I was able to sleep on that side more without it hurting.  Sods law that now I am worrying about sleeping on my side because of my neck.  I don't suppose we can have it all ways can we.