radioactive iodine

• 2 replies
  • 27 subscribers

hi all, have a few questions about rai, i am due to have my first injection tomorrow and then my tablet on thursday, i am having the 3.7 dose, i am told that is medium dose. i am a little confused as some people are offered the iodine thyrogen stimulated whold body scan before the rai to see how much uptake there is and how much thyroid is still there to work out what dose to give you.  my oncologist says as I had lymph node involvement i should have the medium dose, but would it not be wise to have the scan before to see if i might only need the 1.1 (lower dose of radiation). feeling really stressed and worried that i am doing the right thing putting radioactive stuff in my body. thank you

• I'm not up to date with current protocols but in the past it was very rare to have the whole body scan pre RAI (I only know one person who had that) so I'm unsure if things have changed or if you aren't in the UK and may be working to a different protocol.
    I agree with your oncologist that if you had any kind of spread, you would usually get the 3.7 dose.

Best wishes

Barbara

“Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous

• Hi. I've had my RAI treatment 3 weeks ago. I didn't have scan pre treatment and I believe that it is not something that is done in UK routinely. I also had 3.7 dose and some lymph nodes involvement. I went with what the doctors suggested as I believe that they are there to treat us to the best of their knowledge. Hope that helps.