after surgery

• 7 replies
  • 29 subscribers

hey guys 

i'm 5 days post op and feel really weak and emotional i cant sleep and my heads itching really badly what symptoms have other members had after their operations im guessing not everyones the same 

• Hi . I just dropped by, I'm from a different group but I can say in the days immediately following my op I just couldn't stop crying, lying awake looking at the ceiling whilst my hubby snored on beside me totally oblivious so I do think it's quite normal. We've all been through a huge emotional upheaval as well as surgery. That's why they call this a roller-coaster journey with emotions high and low - you will get off it one day!

Give your CNS a call if the itching persists I don't know if that's usual.

Sending you gentle reassuring hugs, B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• thank you lovely its certainly a roller coaster thats for sure it doesnt help matters that i live on my own x

• Don't forget you can always call the Macmillan helpline (number below) for a chat, they're hugely supportive when you want to talk to someone. 

B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• The anaesthetic can take a couple of weeks to work its way through your system but it will get better. Your body also has to adjust to not having a thyroid anymore (assuming you lost it all) or having less of a thyroid (if you only lost part) and you will possibly be getting used to having to take the thyroxine and, for some people) calcium as well,

I always recommend getting one of the triangle-shaped pillows to prop yourself up and take the strain off the scar for the first few weeks. 

Feeling weak and emotional is absolutely normal. You just lost an organ. It's not an insignificant life event. If you're anything like me, you'll be telling everybody you're fine and then laying awake half the night letting the demonic nighttime thoughts play games with you.

Please see if you can find a sympathetic friend or relative to have chats with. It's not easy being on your own. 

Best wishes

Barbara

“Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous

• Hello, I definitely agree with you . First thing is  the anaesthetic , I did go through that is like going on a roller coaster, and once your done and recovered your getting stronger and back to normal. People out there they don’t know what other people go through, I try to have conversations with friends and not all of them reacted same as everyone, is enough to say that (sorry )to hear what we go through . And yes next is the scar , It is probably hard after all to have the right clothes and hide that scar away,  because I definitely don’t like showing et off , and why is that ,because if people they haven been what we go through, is not worth explaining to them , and for me is wasting time energy to talk about a story that some people don’t want to hear or take a joke about et . Many thanks 

• i dont mind my scar being on show its part of me now nothing i can do about it x

• I've always been rather proud of my scar. I've never tried to hide it.

Best wishes

Barbara

“Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous