advice after surgery

• 15 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Hi

i had surgery on Monday to remove half of my thyroid, I am now waiting on the results of what they took out to see if that was enough or if I need to have a second op to have the other side out. I came out of hospital on Tuesday and they just advised taking paracetamol and ibuprofen which seems ok in the day time but I am really struggling to sleep at night time and can not find a comfortable position and I am finding it painful and awake a lot of the time.

Can anyone tell me how long it took them to feel comfortable at night time? Any advice on sleeping positions? I have never been able to sleep on my back.

i am now panicking in case I have to do this all over again and hoping my results are better news, I was given the option of having it all out but given that the other side looked normal and I am young they advised half out was the best way forward, but now I am wondering if I made the right decision as now all I can think about is if I have to do it all again!

I am wondering what percentage of people have half out but then end up having to have the other half out in the end as well? 

Thanks for listening.

Louise 

• Hi

Thank you for replying, I am pleased to hear you are through both ops ok.

i have just got a V pillow and I am getting on better with that , so thanks.

i feel ok today about things, I think I was just tired from no sleep that I just started to panic  about the next step but going to take it one step at a time and just wait for the results and go from there.

Take care.

Louise

• Hi

Glad to hear you are through both ops now and hope you are ok.

When I first came out of hospital I did panic and think that I could not do this again but now a few days in it is getting less painful so I know that if I have to then it will be ok.

Thanks again

Louise

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to BB0612

Hi Lousie,

Oh I know, it's so easy to start panicking when you are tired, your mind is racing, and you're not sure if everything is healing as it should be. I'm really glad you're feeling a bit better today - just remember that it WILL get better each day and you'll be more comfortable. 

I found my throat is a little tighter the past couple of days as it's healing. Have had a little reflux and a little bit swollen right above the scar in the middle of my throat, too but nothing unmanageable. Not sure how yours was closed up but I have glue on the incision which has been great. It really sucks that we may have to have another surgery but there's always a chance that we won't! I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for us both ;)

x

Poky

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, I hope you are starting to feel better. The issue I had was getting out of bed if I lay horizontal without my head raised. I live on my own and almost had to call 999 as I got stuck in bed, after some time, I managed to roll out. At the start I couldn’t lift a glass of water, but you quickly regain everything. just needs a little time to heal. 

• This thread is being marked for retention by the moderator, as some members are still finding this useful.