New lump

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hi

I had a bilateral neck dissection with total thyroidectomy back in March because of papillary thyroid cancer. 19 Lymph nodes were removed on the right side of my neck, I then had RAI and wax told after my last scan back in August I had no signs of cancer and they would see me in 4 months. 

I had that check up last week and my surgeon said there's a sizable lump in my neck on the right and I'm having a US on Wednesday morning. 

I'm a straight talking person and was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what this lump could be? I mean is it likely that it's cancer (it is in exactly the same place my cancer had metastasized too) 

Any advise would be great.

Thank you in advance

Sarah 

• Hey Sarah,

Sorry to hear you're going through this worry again, but I'm glad you've popped in to see us.

August to December isn't very long in papillary thyroid cancer land, because it's usually a very slow growing cancer. So to have a "sizable lump" within that time, and for it all to be cancerous is unlikely. However by no means is it impossible for some or all of it to be cancerous.

Another option could be a cyst. Those can grow quite quickly and to all sorts of sizes. If you had any glow in your neck after RAI, it would indicate there was still some thyroid tissue left, so it could also be a benign, run of the mill, thyroid nodule.

Then ignoring the thyroid completely, there are lymph nodes, and all sorts of other tissues and bits and pieces in there that might be playing silly b*ggers.

So there are a few options as to what it might be, and hopefully on Wednesday the ultrasound technician will be able to give you a clue.

My fingers are crossed for you, good luck and let us know how you go!

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• Hi Sarah

Have you had any colds or infections recently that could have caused enlarged lymph nodes? That's always my first 'go to' assumption for a lump in the neck that gets big quickly.

Best wishes

Barbara

“Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Hi there

Seems the lymph is "mostley cystic and necrotic" and they are taking it out on the 1st March. They attempted a FNA but the necrotic nature of the tissue meant a good enough sample wasnt taken. 

My surgeon said that if histology comes back unfavourable I will be having more RAI, but we just have to wait and find out...

It will be a year since my neck dissection on the 23rd of March and I feel right back to square one. I never NEVER expected this, not so soon.

I will keep you guys posted on any updates I have.

Thank you

Sarah

• Hi I feel new lump too after 6 months did you get surgery