Ultrasound guided thyroid biopsy

• 8 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Hi I've been having treatment for melanoma. My pet scan showed uptake on thyroid so then had ultra sound a fine needle biopsy which could not get a result now got to have ultrasound  guided biopsy on 27th can anyone tell me what this is like. I have a nodule which I hope is benign.

• Hi Miss mole, sorry to hear you're having treatment for melanoma. The only experience I have of the biopsy was that I had one on the lump on my neck (on the thyroid) but the lump was big enough to be actually visible externally, I'm not sure that's your situation at this point? My FNA was inconclusive too as many of ours are. The US guided biopsy was okay, won't lie it was a bit uncomfortable especially as mine was close to my windpipe but just one of those things we have to grin and bear while they gather the data. Do let us know how it goes and your results. Fingers crossed for you x

• Hi thyroid biopsy was ok a little uncomfortable. Get results in a week. Also had oncology check up got to have a EBUS now I think that's to check lungs it's never ending. Got a weeks break from medication as was causing side effects.

• Thanks for the update. Glad you got through the biopsy, well done one step at a time. The result waiting is just awful. I've not heard of that EBUS. Let us know how that goes and results from the biopsy.

• Hi hope your doing OK just read your profile  sorry you have dealt with a  lot. Had results yesterday for thyroid. It is papillary carcinoma thyroid cancer not the news I wanted. Stopped medication for melanoma as to many side effects. The melanoma is at low risk of coming back so just be getting scans for now to check. Once blood test are back to normal will have to see surgeon about thyroid surgery. How long were you in hospital for and what was recovery time. My job is physical so I guess I be needing a few weeks off.

• Hi Miss mole, I'm sorry to hear of your results, not what you wanted especially dealing with the melanoma too but there's plenty of help here with others that have experienced the same variant as you. Hopefully they'll reply aswell soon. I'm not sure my surgery experience will be very helpful as my Medullary variant is tackled differently and had spread and I had neck and chest dissections along with the total thyroidectomy which is a much more extensive op . Please be reassured the “standard” total thyroidectomy alone (from what I read on here) usual stay can be just a few days as long as there are no complications, and the recovery can be quite swift, within a month or so depending on how well you respond to the levothyroxine. Hope that's helpful. Please let me know if there's any other questions and the results from your surgeon x

• Hey Miss Mole, I have FVPTC, I had a total thyroidectomy and was only in one night and took 3 weeks off work as like you I actually need to be able to lift and move people so needed it to be good. Pain wasn't too bad but my throat was sore for a few days didn't stop me eating anything though. All was well when I went back no complications.

• That's good it's only 1 night stay that's not to bad did you have any treatment after surgery.

• Yeah I've just had radio iodine treatment on the 14th February, only needed one night stay in there also in isolation wasn't too bad no side affects so far, still waiting in my scan results though which got moved from 10th April to the 1st may which is annoying.