Tall cell version of papillary thyroid cancer

• 2 replies
  • 19 subscribers

I had RIA in May and the scan just afterwards showed a possible nodal mediastinal metastasis (in the upper chest) and remaining disease in my neck.  My cells are 50% ‘tall cell version’ .  I’ve now been told to wait while the treatment continues to work. Then in November I will have an iodine scan ( doing the diet as before the treatment) to see what’s happened.  Does anyone have a similar experience of tall cell version?  I’m 60 and have read that the prognosis is worse with this and that age is a negative factor. 

• The rarer varients such as your tall cell and my hurthle cell types are statistically a bit less treatable but still - compared to all the other cancers out there - have great clear up rates. 
    Age can be a factor, but it plays out more strongly in people who are a lot older than you.

Treatment is the same regardless of variants so try not to dwell on what you had and that you've now had cut out. 

Best wishes

Barbara

“Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous

• Thanks Barbara, that’s reassuring about my age, but it’s the mediastinal metastasis that is my main concern.  And I’ve read that RIA doesn’t always work for this variant.   The consultant said they see one person per year like me -  I’m being treated in a major centre. My husband has advanced bowel cancer so it’s all a bit much!  But I’m back at work now and have a good summer planned, so November feels a long way off.