Newly diagnosed Testicular Cancer

• 1 reply
  • 9 subscribers

Hi,  I was diagnosed with Testicular Cancer which was a mild surprise the doctor had been treating the cricket ball stuck in my trousers for infection.  The big shock was being told it was probably a secondary cancer.  The other surprise was to realise how little I new about cancer despite my mother dying from it and a large number of friends going through everything from discovery to remission.  I'm avoiding looking at Google, the few times I weakened it was confusing, misleading or terrifying and some times all 3.

I had my staging CT Scan which I found mildly frightening because I'm profoundly claustrophobic but it was quick and the radiographers were fantastic.  Sadly it took 36 hours to feel 'normal' (symptoms muzzy head and slight dizziness). I didn't feel the you've wet yourself sensation fortunately.  So waiting with a little interest in the results - I'm not even sure when and how I will hear them.

Apparently my Testicular Cancer Tumour Markers are normal (I think that implies its still within the testicle.

Next stage is to have one Orchid (!) removed in 5 days - should improve my hayfever(?). To be honest that's the least worrying part of the process God gave me a spare all though that looked a bit sparkly in the ultrasound -a Glitterball.

The surgeon has speculated I have Lymphoma and will need Chemo and Radiotherapy so I think I'm about to become a frequent user of your site which has been very measured and informative. Thank you.

Despite the suggestion I will avoid sharing a photo.

PS Best T Shirt Idea so far... "The Others in the Albert Hall"

• Hello Astigabay

Welcome to the Online Community and the testicular cancer group.

I noticed that you had not yet had a reply so am responding in the hope it will bump your post so someone who has faced a similar diagnosis will see it and respond.

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis of a testicular cancer, possibly a secondary one. It must be worrying to be told that it may be lymphoma and that you may need chemo and radiotherapy. 

I wish you well with your surgery and hope that it brings some more clarification. At the moment you are still dealing with uncertainty around it all and that can be tough.

There is some information here that may be of help.

Testicular cancer booklet | Macmillan Cancer Support

To be told that you may need chemo and radiotherapy is scary. I had both and although it was tough at times, it was doable. 

If you feel talking things through would help, then please do consider giving the Support Line a call. The details are below. 

Hopefully someone who has had the same surgery will now see your post and offer support.

In the meantime if there is anything you need, then please do ask.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm