Supporting husband

• 5 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Good morning, I’m new here, hubby had a ultrasound scan yesterday in the hope of being discharged after a pretty miserable Xmas and new year spent having surgery and sepsis post surgery for a hydrocele and circumsition, well the scan wasn’t what we expected, he has a aggressive tumour in his testicle that has grown somewhat very large in 4 weeks since his last scan, the person doing the scan said I cannot say cancer as above my pay grade but you need your testicle removed asap, it is very large and something he has not seen in 35 years doing medicine, as you can imagine we are in shock and no idea what to expect next, hubby has the most severe night sweats (for several weeks) difficulty in passing urine (again for a few weeks)is having groin pain as well .  now we wait for his urologist to phone to admit him again, please anyone have any information on this type of tumour or outcome, thank you 

• Hi there. Sorry to hear what has happened to your family over the past month. I would expect his urologist will also order blood tests and a CT scan. I had my testicle removed before the CT scan (but after bloods). As I understand it, most TC tumours are not rapidly growing ones. However, I only really know about my own type. Your husbands situation could potentially be different due to having sepsis. I've not heard of TC affecting urine flow before. One bit of advice I can offer though is to chase. Don't wait weeks for a phone call. You're not wasting anyones time. I found the NHS absolutely useless. Your husband is lucky to have a supporting partner. I did too and it really helps. Good luck, and please reach if you need to. 

• Thank you  you for taking the time to reply, hubby’s been through such a lot in the past months, I’ve been reading up about different types of tc, now the initial shock has gone, our hospital is very good with him but I won’t hang around and an assertive in making sure he gets the care he needs, I was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge of such a quick growing tumour, thanks again hope you continue to be well 

• Has your husband been given a follow up urologist appointment or operation date yet?

• Not as yet, he had an appointment last week to discharge him after the previous two surgery’s , the consultant asked for this ultrasound scan just as a back up to make sure all was ok, guess he’s going to have a surprise when he gets the email with the results, he only had the ultrasound yesterday so will expect a letter/phonecall (which is what they have been doing) hopefully early next week 

• Ok great, sounds like things are moving. Good luck