Brother in law recently diagonised

• 1 reply
  • 9 subscribers

Morning all, 

I have just came across this forum but didn't really know how to start this! My brother in law was diagnosed on Sat 27th March with Testicular Cancer. He also has a large tumour on his Spine and multiple tumors in his groin and hips. It just feels so surreal that his back pain that he has been suffering from is actually Cancer! I just can't get my head round it and just feel so so sad all the time! He started Chemo on Monday and has the next round in 2 weeks. He cannot walk as he has no sensation or strength in his legs. It's just terrible!

Would love to reach out or speak to people who have family members in the same position, I just don't know how to help him or what to say to him?

Thank you all

• Hi  

I'm very sorry to hear of your brother in law and the whole family's situation. I don't have this type of cancer as I am a woman but I can understand to some degree as I have endometrial cancer. Once it had spread, which was unbeknown to me as well, I had awful pain and couldn't walk properly. I walked with a limp, if you would like to read my profile, please click on my username. 

There is a carers group, which may be good support to you. This is the link to it  Carers only forum 

I realise that it is a difficult situation and you're not sure of what to say or how to say it but looking back on my situation, I would say that actions speak louder than words. I don't remember things that were said to me but I remember and still have my husband's support and help. As your brother in law cannot walk he will be dependant on family. He is having chemo and may not have the motivation or energy to do things for himself. Just by being there and showing your support will mean a lot to him. I hope that his treatment goes well. Best wishes to you all.

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm