Not sure on what to expect

• 1 reply
  • 9 subscribers

Hi everybody.
I’m not entirely sure if this the correct forum to post this on, but hopefully you’ll understand at the end.
Back in late Oct 2022, I found a lump on the back of the right boy, and not on the ball itself, so I made an appointment with my GP for a few days’ time.  Once the GP had a good old feel, he said it should be nothing to worry about but he would still like an Ultrasound done just to make sure.
Skip ahead 2 days and I’m at the local walk-in centre getting the Ultrasound done. I can see on the monitor that lumpy (as he shall now be called) was a solid mass and not a possible cyst.
The sonographer lets me know that the results will be sent to my GP and to make an appointment for a few days’ time to get the results.
I then get a phone call from my GP the same day later in the afternoon to let me know that I have been referred to the hospital and I’ll hear from the within a few days.
Next day I get letter for an outpatients appointment for the following week, and to have a blood test done before the appointment.
Now at the appointment at hospital, where I’m having my balls felt by so many random men and not even a drink bought in-between!

The consultant Urological surgeon says that the blood markers are good and although there is a quite a large solid lump he does not believe it to be cancer and we talk about 2 options.  The 1st is to monitor the situation for 3 months and to attend again in the New Year as lumpy is not causing any discomfort, or 2nd option to play is safe and to have the operation to remove.
So I take a few days to decide, in the meantime I’ve noticed that lumpy has gotten bigger and now is uncomfortable so I contact the hospital to let them know that I will proceed with the 2nd option.

Back at the hospital a few weeks later (mid Dec) to have the operation and out the next day with the sexy underwear that they make you wear.
Skip ahead a month, all healed up. They don't tell you that sneezing and coughing are to be avoided at all cost.
Having not heard anything from the hospital yet. But then get a call while out of the UK on a jolly holiday to attend when back home.

Meet with the consultant again, who lets me know that the results of the histological examination did show a seminoma almost exclusively in the epididymis and not on the testicle as expected and that there are very few reports of this type in the literature and they would like to do a case report as it is quite a rare cancer and it was a good thing that I took the surgery route and not waited any longer.
So, while not a traditional TC, I’m posting on this forum as it is the closest one that matches what has been diagnosed with and the current treatment plan I have followed.

Now had another arm full of bloods taken and a CT scan done. Just waiting in the results to see if there has been a possible spread and a future treatment plan. What would be a normal time scale that I should expect from having the CT done to hearing back from the hospital as no indication was given by the consultant other than I will now be passed to Oncology and not knowing is playing on my mind and my partner who lost his dad to cancer at the start of December last year.

If more treatment is required, what can form can I expect that to be?

All the best
The LoneStone Cowboy

• Hi There and welcome!

You are certainly in the right place to put this up on. 

You most certainly went down the right route and least its out. Big positive is that Seminoma is much slower growing although like you say yours growing on the epididymis is rare so unsure how it will affect anything. So after my surgery I have two appointment booked for CT one week and the following with oncology so I imagine they will review, discuss with MDT and figure out the best approach for how to treat your case.

All the best and keep us informed of the outcome!