Post-Orchiectomy CT

• 1 reply
  • 9 subscribers

I’m 28, noticed my veins one one side were a little larger around 9 months ago, didn’t pay much attention to it. About a month ago a felt around and noticed a lump. Went to the doc and I ended up getting a unilateral orchiectomy about 5 days after an ultrasound confirmed the size to be about 3cm in diameter. After a biopsy it was confirmed to be Seminoma. Fast forward three weeks, I get my CT scans back and while there’s nothing out of the ordinary in the abdomen or pelvic areas, there are three 3mm nodules in my lungs. I’m getting another scan in 3 months, other than that I’m not sure what the plan is other than surveillance. They said it’s not something I should worry about too much, it could scar tissue or benign. Is it reasonable to not be very calm and actually super concerned right now? I just barely finished healing from one surgery, my pay was trash from work while I was on sick leave, and I had gotten the cheapest insurance option my work provided because I didn’t think I’d be getting cancer at 28 years old. Just the one surgery put me back quite a bit out of pocket. I had a lot of plans for the future that I’ve barely thought about in the last month and I’m still just as uncertain as the start. 

• Hi Oregon. Similar story here. I had the op last December plus one dose of carboplatin. My post op CT scan showed no sinister lymph nodes etc but did flag up a 3mm king nodule. It did scare me as I was not expecting that! I have been a causal (not heavy) smoker for most of my adult life and the doctor said it could be to do with that. He also said it’s probably nothing. I’ve had 2 ct scans since and it hasn’t grown so he said it’s nothing. I think the shock really is that I’d never heard of king nodules and just immediately thought I had lung cancer 

The one thing that helped me (and I hope will help you) is the oncologist told me if he went out onto the street and gave a ct scan to the first 100 people he saw, over 40% of them would have a lung nodule…….

good luck