Husband has 2 week urgent referral

• 6 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hi everyone , 

my husband found a lump maybe size of a grape in his left testicle a couple of weeks before Christmas.( he also has a niggle pain in his lower side of abdomen)  Finally had a GP appointment last weeK. She straight away got him an ultrasound - can’t fault how quick it was . She called on Monday to say they have ruled out Cysts and he is now referred on the 2 week referral to a urologist as a suspect  cancer . I have obviously looked at the various cancer sites and it seems that the ultrasound pretty much can determine if a lump is cancerous or not . The GP mentioned the word Maginoma  but was quite vague . So I suppose the urologist will be able to look at the ultrasound with professional eyes and make a fair assessment? . I’m trying to prepare myself for all scenarios as I find that stops any panic . I myself have just finished chemo for stage 3 bowel cancer - what a funny old time we are having . 

• Hi.

I would put anything the GP said out of your mind. The urologist will make the call based on the ultrasound. They don't do biopsies for testicular cancer as it risks spreading it.  The urologist may make an educated guess at the type of cancer. Mine did and was correct. However, they won't know for sure until they get it into a lab and under a microscope after the operation.

Best wishes

G

• Thank you @teahupo the appointment with urology is on the 31st so not long to wait 

• Hi Takayasu, 

I'm so sorry you're going through this! My husband was diagnosed with Testicular cancer in October 2021.

Like you, I equipped myself with EVERY scenario and drove myself crazy over it. It's easier said than done, but please don't Google. Be sound in the knowledge that IF it is testicular cancer, it is absolutely treatable - even advanced stages. My husbands Oncologist said that if you HAVE to have cancer, then testicular cancer is the one you want. 

Has your husband had any blood tests ordered? They'll check for certain markers which will help diagnosis. 

I'm glad to say my husband was diagnosed, had an orchiectomy, was CT scanned and was then put on a 5 year surveillance programme all within 6 weeks. Diagnosis to finish. SIX WEEKS. 

I hope I've put your mind at ease and wish your husband well, along with your own speedy recovery. 

Big love. 

• Hi Takayasu,

Im so sorry to hear your news , I have gone through the same as your husband and i think all the waiting you have to go through is a really anxious time for you both .

Im not very good waiting on news personally and i found as I've got older , 62, i haven't got any better !

Try and be positive , easy to say i know, but your be in good hands the both of you .I found the Macmillan nurses to be so helpful and caring , they are with you all the way, to help you and answer your questions. 

Take care , and good luck to both of you 

Kind regards

Mark 

Mark 

• Hi from me, too. I am sorry you are facing all this and I am sure most of us qiestioned why me or why my husband (in your case). I can tell you from my experience I had symptoms for a very long time, I did not want to be seen by a doctor (silly me). Because I did once when I had some pain in the other one, and it turned out to be an infection. Later when I started getting symptoms with the right one, I thought this is same as before, an infection and a cyst may be. So silly I was or did not want to accept the fact it could be something serious. I thought that when it is painful it is not cancerous...but it was not like that. Anyways, I am all clear since April 2016 and God has been by my side always and helped me a lot. NHS are also brilliant, can't praise them enough. I can reassure you, your husband is in right hands. You did the right thing getting this checked up and having an ultrasound. I wish you all the best  and when your husband meets the urologist and if it turns out to be cancer, just do as you are told and everything will pass. Your husband will be fine. Wish you all the best!

Plamen

• He should see urologist straight away and he will have surgery next day if the blood markers are high. Dont wait 2 weeks!