Diagnosed Today

• 6 replies
  • 14 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I'm Adam, 32, and today I've been diagnosed with testicular cancer. I saw my GP two weeks ago about a change in the size and shape of my left nut, had an ultrasound last week and the referral to a Consultant Urologist was today. He confirmed what I expected. I'm now waiting for my orchidectomy to happen some time in the next two weeks. Merry Christmas to me, I guess!

It's hard to comprehend just how quickly this has all happened - just 2 weeks ago I was thinking about applying for jobs and PhDs but that's all now gone right out of the window. I think I'm processing everything that is happening to me, but I'm not sure whether it's really hit me yet. I have felt quite anxious over the past two weeks, but I'm unexpectedly calmer today now that I have a diagnosis and surgery is definitely happening. I am not sure whether to expect a sudden and massive breakdown.

I can at least feel positive about the fact that TC is probably the most treatable and survivable cancer. I believe that survival rates are around 99%. I just don't know what to expect of my own reaction, whether I will be able to keep my spirits up through this. I'm fortunate enough that I'm close to family and friends who can get me through treatment. Fingers crossed my histology and CT come back clean and I don't need further treatment. I guess we'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

Thanks for reading,

Adam

• Hi Adam

No need for stuff to go out of the window.  If you just need the op and no chemo your life will be back to normal in 4 to 6 weeks. If you do need some chemo then it still might only be a few months.  You'll know more after your operation, but don't be thinking that your life is going to change significantly. Chances are it won't.

Best wishes

G

• Good luck for a speedy recovery Adam. Perhaps continuing your thoughts and plans will help you through this hard time 

• Hi Adam 

I echo what Taehupo said, currently this is something which you are facing u, however in the very near future it will be behind you. Good luck on the op and your recovery.

• Your mental addressing of the situation sounds very much like my own, although the circumstances in the lead up and other symptoms are very different. I only got to have a doctor take me seriously and get it referred to be seen by the hospital back in September, after having had mine examined several times over the course of a year. Sadly, that year is a year of COVID and doctors were fobbing people off a lot during that time, myself included it seems. Even after consultation they dragged their feet and I didn’t get an ultrasound and confirmation until November. By then I’d made my peace with losing a bean and was glad to have it gone. My concerns only grew after infection and complications after surgery and the increase in my other symptoms that pretty much confirm the spread into my stomach.

You’ll go through ups and downs from the full on morbid to the optimistic. Best I can say is strap yourself in for a rough year ahead and anything that doesn’t happen bad is a bonus.

• Hi Adam I’m 33 & was diagnosed in may with my worst fear (12mm tumour in my left testicle) and felt the same as you, it was the waiting that got to me - worrying if it was spreading/getting worse before something was done about it. But eventually I got my operation on 2nd of July. The next day was my fiancees hen party and I had to cancel my own stag party -this was 6 weeks before our wedding. I healed quite quickly and was back to normal within 3 weeks, held my head high & got married in August. I met with the urologist after one weeks honeymoon, who confirmed it was a stage one tumour and he was happy with how the op went. They suggested I didn’t need chemo, that surveillance would be the best option. Thankfully all has been great since & I had a clear CT in December & the next one is in March 2022. Im so grateful that I’m felling good & getting on with life like it never happened, sex life hasn’t changed and my new wife and I are expecting a baby in July. Meant to write this message up here to give hope and share my story with people who was as worried as I was at the time of diagnosis, hope this helps you. All the best, keep positive & you will get through it like I did. I had dark days I’m not going to hide that but my wife, family & friends supported me through the tough times & brought me to the light at the end of the tunnel. 

• Hi mate, nice to read your story glad your all good. And I hope everyone else is on here. I had my ultrasound today which showed a 11mm x 9mm tumour so waiting for urologist appointment just want the nut out now. So much going through my mind it’s ridiculous. All the best lads