Chemo finished

• 6 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hi,

so it’s been a stressful year been diagnosed in may with stage 2b non-seminoma, I’ve had the operation and also had my 3 cycles of bep hoping that has worked, the doctor told me that it’s spread but caught it early, so I’ve got the worrying wait now for the scan in 2 weeks to see if the lyth nodes have gone down.

anybody else gone through this or going through it now?  

• Hi and welcome to the Online Community. I just dropped by and noticed you've not had a reply to your post as yet, I'm sure the members of this group will be along soon to chat.

Good to hear you've had your op and finished your chemotherapy. No matter what cancer we've had , we can all agree the endless wait for scans, tests and results is so debilitating. Fingers crossed you get good news after your scan.

Macmillan Support Services also offer lots of information, support, financial guidance or just someone to listen. It’s free to call 0808 808 0000. Most services are available 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hiya Jason, its nice to meet you. We're kind of in the same boat I had my CT done a few days ago and I am waiting on the results of that right now. Just to let you know I was diagnosed with stag 3b testicular cancer, non seminoma as well. I also recently finished four cyles of BEP chemo, what a ride that was. Hoping for the best for you, just letting you know you're not alone. Shoot me a message if you ever want to chat. Oh coincidentally I was diagnosed in May as well, in fact I had my orchiectomy on the 28th of May..

Cheers man,

James.

• Hi mate 

I’ve been recently diagnosed with stage 2c, had lefty removed a few weeks ago and now on my first cycle of BEP, currently day 4 of my 12 week cycle, they have already picked up that  It’s on my lymph nodes around my stomach too!

Stay strong Muscle hoping you get good news 

it’s been a rough emotional time bit just got to keep positive 

Cheers 

• Hi

Just wanting alittle bit of info. SORRY TO ASK. I had surgery in April and was then put on surveillance. I went for a routine CT and then received a appointment through the post to meet with the oncology team. Long story short lymph node in my abdomen has got bigger on each scan and today I was told that the cancer has spread to my abdomen and possibly my lungs. I am starting 3 cycles of BEP on Wednesday. I was told everything today but nothing sunk in. Is there anything you would advise to help along the way. 

• Heya Jim, so you're gonna start 3xBEP. I went through 4x BEP so I just wanted to put that up as a disclaimer. We're all different so how we react to chemo would certainly be different but my tips based on what I experienced would be.

When you go to have chemo, if you're in the outpatient clinic you're gonna be sat down or laid down on a bed, for 5-6 hours so bring some form of entertainment whether its a book, or put some data on your phone, plug in some headphones and listen to some music because it'll help pass the time. 

There are several side effects of chemo but if you ever experience hiccups, sometimes they last for hours then you should take a deep breath and drink water for 20 seconds straight (I had hiccups that lasted 5 hours at a time), honestly this worked wonders.

Also while you're on chemo you should drink ideally 2 litres of water a day, it may sound counter intuitive but it'll help with any swelling that may occur and help flush out the toxins in your body. Also try to eat foods with lots of fibre, have things like prunes, oats soaked in milk and vegetables because chemo really messes with your digestive tract and if you do end up constipated, it is the worst feeling in the world. If all else fails with regards to the constipation, meaning you eat fibrous foods and it still comes on, talk to your physician, usually they'll prescribe a laxative like dulcolax. I once was clogged up and had to do a manual evacuation which was not a nice experience, you do not want to have to put a finger in your bum and pull out little  clay like nuggets for an hour while straining to push it out .

Be very wary when you're having your single dose of Bleomycin. Take two paracetamols/panadols before it is administered because Bleo can cause fever. It really does leave you feeling awful. If you do get a fever after a Bleo injection, monitor it and if it doesn't go away in 24 hours(this is the maximum amount of time but you can go earlier) you need to present to the emergency room, when you're doing chemo the risk for sepsis is very high. On that same note ensure you have a thermometer to measure your temperature. If you do get a fever you can apply wet rags on your body and get in front of a fan to cool you down.

There is also a risk of having really bad acid reflux. Talk to your doctor's if you're experiencing any burning sensation in your chest. Acid was another painful thing you can experience but it can be limited with the use of drugs like Nexium and Omeprazole.

When possible try to get in some very light exercise even if it is a ten minute walk for the day. When you genuinely don't have the energy don't force yourself but when you're on chemo the risk for clots go up and you should keep milldly active to prevent an embolism from occuring. This is something that is very dangerous to you.

Also try to maintain your distance from people because chemo damages your immune system. You don't want to pick up any viruses or bacteria because any infection can be life threatening during chemo. Infections and illness can lead to sepsis. So be very careful.

Don't forget to take your antiemetic meds on time, I never experienced vomiting and I was glad that it never happened but make sure and take these meds on time.

For me the first cycle of BEP was the worst because I had to adjust to it. Although its effects are cumulative, it got worse for me through each cycle. One thing though, I would always feel awful after the 5 day sessions and my body would start to recover by the second week after the 5 day session. I would always feel some sense of normalcy just before the next cycle began. Everyone is different though and this might be different for you as well. Just remember to take it lightly during this entire ordeal. And these were some things I wish I knew going into chemo. Wishing you all the best 

Sincerely,

James.

• Thank you so much for this insight into what to expect and your advice this will help me a lot. So thank you