Hi everyone, just an introduction!

• 2 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Hi all,

Bit of a lurker here over the last few weeks of my TC journey, so thought I should pop my head above the parapet and introduce myself!

I'm Mike, a 44yr old male from Staffordshire, UK.  As I am sure is true for most of us on here, the last couple of months have been a whirlwind of doctor visits, consultant visits, scans, blood tests etc.  I have added full details of my journey to date on my profile, but in summary;

Overnight swelling of RHS testicle in Early May 2021, removal at the end of June 2021 following 2 US scans and a CT scan.

Initial results from Urologist state the TC was a Classical Seminoma, Stage pT1.  CT Scan clear (although initially the urologist said something was visible on the CT scan, however following an MDT meeting stated the scan was clear).  From what I have read on this forum (thank you), it seems that this is 'good news' in terms of the type/stage of cancer?!

I also opted to have a prosthetic in place of the removed.  Early days yet, but relatively happy with that decision so far.

Appointment with the Oncologist has been set for 2nd August.  Assume I will find out more detail here, as well as tackling the 64 million dollar question about what happens next.....surveillance or chemo (not sure whether chemo is suggested given the stage/type etc).

Anyway, lovely to meet you all (virtually), and I hope to contribute with some of my own experience of surgery, recovery etc. for those that are in the early stages of their journey.

Stay safe, stay strong x

• Hi

It certainly is a whirlwind. Everything happens so fast.

If you are 100% classic seminoma at stage 1 then that is about as good as testicular cancer gets. They will look at other risk factors before weighing up chemo vs surveillance. The main one will be tumor size. 

If they do recommend, or give you the choice of, chemo it should be just a single cycle of carboplatin, which isn't too awful.

Either way, life will get back to normal relatively quickly.

Best wishes

G

• Thanks G.

Only got a brief letter from the urologist to go by at the moment.  Will see what the Oncology team have to say.

Fingers crossed