33 business owner, just had orchidectomy - what comes next?

• 9 replies
  • 14 subscribers

Hey there, I'm a 33 year old healthy and fit business owner based in Devon, England and on Thursday 8th April I had a radial orchidectomy. 

My left testicle was removed, following a cancer diagnosis. I'm now home and resting from the surgery.

My scar is still pretty numb but coughing and sneezing. I'm currently awaiting the results of the biopsies and further tests to see how much (if any) chemotherapy or other treatments I need.

From what I understand, my cancer hasn't spread. So treatment could be minimal.

Is it likely that I'll have to have chemo? I think I'm still in shock over the whole thing, I was only diagnosed a couple of weeks ago and it all went through very quickly.

I'm concerned how long I'll be "out of action" for exercise and working out. Has anyone else gone from very active to total rest? Is there a method for dealing with that?

Lots of thoughts, looking forward to looking through this forum. 

• Hi, it’s good to hear your orchidectomy is complete, it sounds as though things have moved pretty quickly which is great although it is quite a shock being diagnosed with cancer. What happens next? My advice (from experience) is rest, rest and rest and in the interim you’ll hopefully have your histology results return enabling your consultant to confirm your cancer type. 

You’ll also need a CT scan to check to see if the cancer has spread beyond the testicle. 

I had a seminoma stage one, I had therefore had the choice of 5 years surveillance or one hit of chemo and 5 years of surveillance, I opted for the latter as it improves your chances of preventing relapse - it’s a personal choice, some go for the chemo some don’t, treatment plans will depend on your type of cancer.

Testicular cancer is very treatable with a very positive prognosis so try to stay positive. Best of luck. 

• Hi.

I was very active before my orchidectomy and single cycle of chemo. I began working out (weight training) very slowly about eight weeks after chemo and built up from there. Just doing what I could and not pushing myself. Was back to almost normal after about 4 months.

You might get given a choice between chemo or surveillance. If you go for the chemo it won't begin until about a month after your operation. So you'll have a couple weeks when you're feeling absolutely fine after your operation and before the chemo begins, if you opt for it. I was working out normally during that period.

Sounds like they've caught this early, so chances are your life will get back to normal in a fairly short period of time.

Best wishes

G

• Hi mate, hope you have a speedy recovery!

Prior to my surgery at the end of November last year I was circuit training most days with a lot of cycling and running too. 

if I am being honest I have only started exercising properly again in the last few weeks. I found it quite hard to get motivated to start again so I signed up for a half marathon which I done a couple of weeks ago which thinking back I should have probably taken more gradual than dive straight in!

I am now back in a routine of circuits most days however my fitness really had taken a hit, but I’m getting there! I am experiencing some pain around the incision area when I exercise though, it’s nothing so bad as to make me stop but I’m not sure if this is something other people have had too? Especially 4 + months after the surgery? I guess it’s easy to forget the extent it takes out of you? 

I guess in my side of things I definitely could have started to exercise much sooner but with the cold weather and all I was a bit lazy and not very motivated. But it’s really important to know that you’re body has been through a lot and it will take time to get back to the exercise levels you were at before, at least that’s what I am telling myself haha. 

Anyway sorry this post has been a bit me me me, it’s the first time I’ve wrote on here to be honest feels good to write about it as silly as it may seem!

I personally didn’t have chemo and am going down the surveillance route. Luckily mine was very early stages and I was lucky to have it caught when I did! I hope that your story will be very similar when your biopsy comes back!

wishing you a speedy recovery ThumbsupThumbsup

• Awesome, thanks for the reply. Sorry for not replying sooner, I didn't have my notifications turned on! Very clear path and advice and it's eased my worries considerably. Thanks again!

• That's great advice, thanks for the timeline. I think I was panicking to an extent and worried about "losing gains" but as my wife has put it, it's just going to have to take it's time. Really appreciate the post, sorry for the delay in replies!

• Thanks for sharing this, it wasn't too "you" heavy at all! If anything, I want more anecdotes and stories of how others dealt with the situation. Looks like I'll have to accept it's a long road to my full recovery, but there are things I can do in the meantime.

Interesting points about motivation. Glad to hear you're on the path to recovery.

• Do you know yet whether you need any chemo?  It probably won't be as long a road as you expect. As a healthy 33 yr old you should get through this relatively quickly and easily.

• Hi there, do you have any updates on your journey? Hope all is as well as can be. 

• Hello. I congratulate you that your illness is behind you and you feel good. Are you planning to return to running your business? You still need to conserve your strength. I would like to recommend that you read information about business process outsourcing industry analysis and think about outsourcing your management processes. Your business will stay afloat and your management burden will be reduced. Good luck to you.