Testicular cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Hi I recently received a testicular cancer diagnosis. I have to have my testicle removed on Wednesday 6th April. I finding it hard to plan around this huge shock to the system. And I'm not sure what to expect next. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, this is my first message on here, I’ve been a silent reader since my own diagnosis earlier this year, I can sense the apprehension in your message so I wanted to reach out and share my experience and hopefully that will help you in some way.

It’s firstly a really positive step you have reached out on here and you’re not bottling it all up, that’s more than I did. It’s good news that you have your date for your orchidectomy, the operation sounds awful (to remove a testicle) but it’s a quick procedure, I was quite sore afterwards but I took all the meds which gets you through it - you should be in and out the same day. 

Your removed testicle will be sent away for histology to understand what type of cancer it is, you can also expect a CT scan at some point to understand if the cancer has spread beyond the testicle which will allow the doctors to tell you what stage you are - even if it has spread its very treatable. 

For me it was the initial diagnosis that took my breath away, I really struggled with it but what made it worse was the waiting for results to come through which have me my staging (Stage 1 seminoma), I think once you have your answers it begins to sink in and you can start digesting it all.

I wish you the very best of luck 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you Paul01.you have released a bit of pressure off my mind. Thing is. This has all happened in less than a months I have two young daughters. Which tbh I'm more scared for them than I am for myself. But I'm gunna get over this hurdle. And brace for what's next. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi, it’s a good thing that everything has happened so quickly as that may well mean it’s been caught early, if you’re stage one you can decide whether to just have the operation and then surveillance for the next 5 years or have one hit of chemo (carboplatin) as well as surveillance for the next 5 years to reduce your chances of the cancer returning, I chose the one hit of chemo and although I felt rough I wanted to do all I can to reduce the chances of it returning but it’s a personal choice. 

i have young children too, I decided not to tell them anything other than I was ‘poorly’ as I wanted to protect them from it all, some people decide to tell their children which is their choice but I certainly don’t regret not telling them. 

Try not to be scared, easier said than done I know, you will face this head on and you will look back and be thankful when it’s all over. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hey paul01 it's been  a coupel of months now I wanted to update you. Ive started my chemo journey but unfortunately I've been told I have to have 3 cycles of chemo it looks like it has spread to a lymph node .

God it got hard to get my head round. I start cycle 2 on the 22nd of June I've got to the part now where my hair is falling out but shaved it all off let the kids have some fun. 

I've got to have a scan before the next cycle to see how the mass is reacting. May have to have a operation to remove it but got to wait and see. 

Thank you for being a friendly voice much appreciated!!!

• I have also been a silent reader. Looking at your timeline of events, I had my ochiectomy 2 weeks after you. I am still awaiting my oncology appointment to find out what the next step is. It's been nearly 9 weeks since my surgery. The waiting is draining me mentally! 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Ralphy123

I'm sorry to hear your bad news of your diagnosis 

One thing I can't say. Is don't panic I found out really quickly. So just think no news is good news I know it's hard to think that. Atm I'm on weekly oncology appointments and weekly blood tests. 

I was sent for a ct scan about 4 weeks after my op then got sent for a mri scan a couple weeks later. I hope that the fact it's taking so long means your all clear. 

All the best pricy91

• Thanks for the reply Thumbsup. It's difficult. I've struggled mentally the last few days to be honest. Wondering if things are getting worse etc. I have had a "preliminary appointment". I found out that it was non seminoma with some spread but we're waiting for CT scan. How is Chemotherapy going for you? 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Ralphy123

I'm doing a chemo called b.e.p

It's a bit rougher than I was expecting tbh it's three day visits to the hospital

Day 1 is 8:30 till 18:00 

Day 2 is the same 

Day 3 is a few hours 

Then a  top up injection each week .Next cycle starts Tuesday next week 

I'll admit I felt awful for a few Days after Day three all I wanted to do was sleep and I'm a pretty active person . Now my hair is falling out and not just my head. Got some ringing in my ears the drugs can cause tinnitus. But if it makes me better I can deal with feeling rough for as long as it takes!