Possible testicular cancer

• 17 replies
  • 17 subscribers

Good evening everyone,

Well here’s something I’d never thought I had to deal with which is possible testicular cancer. So i don’t know where to reach out for just a discussion and a heads up of how this works. Being my dad had testicular cancer I guess looking at the % now it has always been on the table. So a couple weeks ago I started having testicular pain. Gave it a week thinking I may have “squished” them. Well a week later no dice, still some pain. Decided to go into a walk in clinic and they ordered an ultrasound. Results came back showing two solid masses. Had a chest X-ray that came back normal, along with a CT scan that showed nothing abnormal. I know this is good but should it ease my mind it’s more of a local thing or still possible spread even with the results? This is where a community is nice to reach out to. I’m lost and would like to know a few things. Did blood work along with a tumor marker test as well. Got a few results back today and the only abnormal readings were HCG levels of 2 which they marked as high. My LDH levels came back normal. Has anyone else had these type of readings as well? Regardless of what anything shows on any test the doc recommends an or orchiectomy regardless, which I’m not opposed to being the history and odds now. If anyone has any tips or just to talk about this it’d ease my mind and at least give me a few answers thank you! 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that you may be looking at a possible cancer diagnosis and it's natural to have lots of questions.

I can't help with the answers, as I'm not a member of this forum, but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and proposed treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi mate, sorry to hear what you are going through. I have just had my "2 year clear" scans but I totally still remember being in your shoes.

My father also had testicular cancer which does apparently increase your risk (however my consultant told me it's just bad luck). If your CT scan etc is clear then it means that if you do have  testicular cancer it is at a very early stage. As ridiculous as it sounds TC is just about the best cancer to get (caught early). When I went through my tests I was told  that once the ultrasound detected a mass the bollock is coming out! Again, this doesn't mean it is 100% cancer but it's a big enough risk. Also unlike lumps in others parts of the body it's considered a "seeding" risk to take a biopsy from a testicle. The diagnosis of TC cannot be made until they remove the ball and test it. So if your doctor is telling you to have the testicle removed unfortunately it probably is the best move. Have you been given a date for the op? My operation itself wasn't too bad. I went to the hospital at 1030 and was home by 1700. Pretty sore for a few days but recovery was swift. 

My advice would be to try and relax, speak to your partner \ family but push for action. You are going to be fine whatever course is taken. 

If you have any specific questions please ask, i'd be only too happy to help.

• Appreciate the response! Truly do! So my surgery is on Monday actually! 

so just a little update is my CT from my abdomen down looks good. I did have two sets of tumor marker tests done and everything looks to be in normal range. I do realize this isn’t always an indicator you’re in the clear but it is a relief it’s not showing bad anything at least. Btw I had two done because I pushed at my local hospital for them to be done before seeing the urologist. One side show HCG level of 2 which they had marked as 0-2 as normal but did put a note as “possibly high” 

I did have a chest X-ray as well, also showed nothing. Small wins I guess. 

I know the minds a powerful thing, but it seems I’m just hyper aways of every dang little ache and pain right now. It does feel as if my chest area is sore here and there. And very little upper back pain. I want to say I’ve had this feeling forever, I’m not as in shape as I used to be. But it’s hard not to think “omg” it’s spreading and I can feel it” the waiting is the worst! I have a feeling of dread and loneliness when I have too much time to think. My wife and family have been super supportive, I’m just used to being their Superman so it is hard being vulnerable. 

If you can share anything from any experience you’ve had truly does help and I do appreciate the response. It’s calming to talk to people that have been through something similar as well. I haven’t talked to my dad in 14 + years. So to get answers from him are not available. Plus he isn’t the rolemodel of self care and the type to get things done as they should be so not sure how much it’d help as well

• By the way! Congrats on the 2 year all clear!!! Happy and encouraging to hear people typically get through this very well! 

• Cheers! And by the way I feel exactly that same as before this crap  (I also had a dose of chemo).

if your ct scan is clear you are more than likely good (from a spread point of view). Tc movs to the nodes in your groin first. They would’ve checked for that….! 

• Well this is a bit of a relief thank you! How did chemo go btw? Just like to be prepared in every way possible. Mentally seems to be the toughest!

• If you search the forum you will find I detailed my experience including chemo. Honestly, it wasn't bad. I was given the choice of one shot of carboplatin for a 97% chance of being cancer free for 5 years, or a 75% on surveillance alone. For me it was a no brainer to take the chemo. I had read so much info on this site I had decided before I even knew if I needed it! I wasn't physically sick and would describe it as a mild hangover. I did get headaches, tiredness and tinnitus for a few months but nothing to worry about. I still get a little tired (but i like siestas anyway) and occasionally get tinnitus. Other than that, and having one ball, I am tip top.

• Man thank you so much for all of the advice! And 100% agree one shot for higher odds is a no brainer! I will also look back on your posts and catch up on it. Thank you. Did you have any other symptoms pre orchiectomy that went away with that? Not sure if the other “feelings” are there because of that or in my head. Mostly the chest. And sorry to keep harping, just nervous 

• No worries at all.

Maybe it was because I got in early but I had zero symptoms aside a pea sized lump. 

• Ahhh nice man! Yeah and I’m not sure if it’s in my head or not haha… I’m assuming your tumor marker levels were normal as well then?