Newly diagnosed, waiting for surgery (husband)

• 27 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi there!

My husband had his ultrasound last week, we spoke to our urologist yesterday and now we're waiting for a surgery date and more info from the fertility clinic. I'm all over the place with worry and wondering whether this is all happening quickly enough (I'm terrified of spread) and wanted to just find some reassurance/advice on this group. Currently, my husband has some bother with uncomfortable swelling around the scrotum, but no other symptoms/is energetic and otherwise healthy.

It would also be really great to know from anyone here - how would you have liked your partner to carry on with things? Is there anything you really appreciated someone doing for you that you didn't know at the time?

Edit February 2023: 

Just wanted to update this post, just in case anyone ever comes across it in the future looking for some reassurance/personal experiences. This week, my husband finally got the all clear—he's officially cancer free :) After 3 rounds of BEP chemo, a couple of infections, and plenty of heartache, we're very, very glad to be on the other side, and his hair has started growing back already! He went into this whole thing as a renal transplant patient, so didn't have a clean bill of health to start with, but the chemo did exactly what it was supposed to. The kidney function is sitting a little lower than it used to, but it managed all the way through chemo and is still working away. Onto surveillance now and happier days!

• Hi.

You shouldn't worry too much about the pace at which things are happening.  

It is a bit of an uncertain time until the operation has happened and it's been put under the microscope.  You will then get a detailed diagnosis and be told whether any further treatment is required or offered.  

Everyone is different in terms of the support they want. At this stage I had only told my wife.  Just try and carry on as normal until diagnosis, and then if further treatment is required discuss how you're going to tell family and friends because just thinking about doing that can be stressful.

Best wishes

G

• Thanks so much for your response, G. I suppose it's just so daunting looking at the rest of this journey - so impatient for answers and some reassurance. This forum has been a real comfort.

• In case anyone is here looking to read someone else's experience -- my husband noticed lump 26th June, had ultrasound 14th July, saw urologist 19th July, and we'll be visiting fertility clinic 2nd August, before surgery 11th August. Got CT scan 25th July because of cancellation, otherwise it was likely to be after surgery. 

• Hi Lavender

It sounds like your husband has acted very quickly which can only be good news if it is TC. I waited about 3-4 weeks before seeking advice and I know many men wait considerably longer.  Mine was stage1, had the op 30th December and had one does of chemo on the 27th Jan. it was a blur but it does get easier to manage / take in.  The dates between appointments are fairly close too so you have to be thankful for that. My ct scan was after my op - I don’t think it matters. 

If you have anything other questions please ask! Wishing you and your husband all the best. 

• Thank you, Goldenball! I think in the midst of everything, it feels very slow between appointments etc. but I really do hope I can look back on it like a blur, as so many blokes like yourself have described in this forum! And thank you so much for your well wishes - I've so appreciated this forum, especially when family/friends can be so alarmist when you try to reach out to them for support. 

• My time frames were similar. Urologist 17th September 24th surgery. Oncogist appointment 14th Oct confirmed I had to have a single round of chemo. Started chemo 26th October all done by 8th November. The waiting is the worse. The result of the ct scan probably the worse bit. Do not be afraid to chase the result. I had my ct scan at 8.30 in the morning had the result by lunchtime. No one likes uncertainty but as is said often on this forum this thing is beatable whatever results you get

• Ah glad to hear you’re on the other side now - I’m sure that’s a good feeling! If you don’t mind me asking - how did you find the chemo?

And thanks for the tip about following up - I had resigned myself to waiting for that result so I’ll make a point of checking in! 

• I only had one round. Generally it was OK. Fear of infection was my main worry. I did develop a mouth ulcer in the final week which I had to go into hospital for. I had more energy than expected. I managed some walks in the first week second week I swept the driveway and raked the leaves never had such a tidy garden. My wife looked after me entirely made every drink and bit of food not sure what I would have done without her. Hardest but was not cuddling my kids just wanted to get through the low immunity part. If I had multiple rounds I would have approached it differently 

• Just got our blood markers back, which are "higher than normal". We can't speak to the cancer team until Monday but I wanted to know if anyone else's had been high/if that's a sign of spread or if it means anything at all really?

• I can’t answer your question as my bloods were not high. I would try not to worry too much. Your husband is in the system now and things are moving. I’m sure it hasn’t but even with a spread TC survival rates are so high. There are other factors that can also effect staging such as size of the tumour which is often linked to how long it’s been there. Hubby will be fine, you’ll just have a tough month or so. 

All the best