Surveillance. Relapse?

• 20 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Hi guys. I would like to ask some basic questions about how often you attend surveillance after being given the clear. I had surgery 2 weeks ago and have just been told that they got all of it out and I will not need to undergo any chemo. I will now be going straight on surveillance. How often are these appointments and what do they consist of? Also what are the rates of relapse of people in my situation? Obviously I'm going to be positive and confident that it will not return but just have that question on my mind. 

• Hi

When they diagnosed you, they would have given you percentage relapse chance depending on the make up of the tumour.   Your surveillance would be tailored accordingly 

• Hi Andrew

That's great news.  As rabbitman says; they should tell you your likelihood of reoccurrence within 5 years.  If they are recommending surveillance only it will be low.

It will be a combination of bloods (mine are every 3 months) and CT scans (mine were 6 months for 2 years then I think they drop to annual).  There is some variation but I think my regime is pretty typical.

Best wishes

G

• Thank you both for your replies. I didn't realise they give you statistics at the meeting. Mine is next Friday to discuss everything so will get my answer then. Just got to eat healthy from now on and cut out some bad habits. Would hate to have to go through this again. For me and for my family. Has been a horrible experience

• I think it will be every 6 months. Scans and blood works. 
    I already had my 4th cycle of chemo and due for surgery next week. How was the surgery? I’m starting to get anxious about it now. 

• I wouldn't be anxious about the surgery. It's a straight forward one. I was only in the hospital for 5 hours. The first 4/5 days are the hardest. Just very little movement and some pain. Just take pGrinnty paracetamol. If you can have someone around to help you that will make a big difference as you can just stay in bed and play PlayStation  Grinmy main word of advice would be don't sneeze, cough or laugh. No one told me this and the first sneeze that came along I screamed in pain after. Heads up. 

• Thank you so much for the reply and the heads up. 

• I was told by the anaesthesiologist today that they will give spinal anaesthesia to numb my lower part of the body. Have they done it to you as well? 

• I had that. It's a very strange feeling, but it's fine. Takes a while to wear off though feels like someone is pressing really hard up against your feet. I was expecting to be asleep while they operated and they only told me an hour before that I wouldn't be. Came as quite a shock to be honest.

• I had my op on the 30th December, had a general and was also out about 4 hours later. I found pain was worse after 48 hours but was able to move about ok.

good luck 

• Thank you for sharing your experience.