RPLND Operation

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 16 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Awaiting having RPLND Operation just wondered if anyone else on here has had this operation and would like to share their experience?

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the Macmillan Online Community but sorry that you needed to find us and I am especially sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I just dropped by and noticed you've not had a reply as yet, I'm sure someone will be along soon.

Although I had a different type of cancer, any cancer diagnosis brings many questions, lots of confusion and stress but talking with other people who are on the same type of journey will help you navigate this rollercoaster.

The Community is organised into dedicated support groups so can I see you have joined our supportive Testicular cancer group, this will be a good place to connect with others navigating the same type of cancer journey.

When you have a minute, it would be great if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00 have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs Bx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hello again . Sorry,  I've just noticed you have already updated your profile. I hope someone comes forward soon to answer your post.

All the best Bx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MrsBJH

Thanks

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello, yes I had it in 2016 at the Marsden in Chelsea. I don't know your age, but I was told it's mainly a young man's complaint. I was diagnosed at the age of 68!  Stage three, right testicle tumour, two large para aortic tumours in my Peritoneum, about 16cm long, and eight smaller ones along my lower Aorta.

I had 4 cycles of chemo first, but only a partial result, so RPLND was offered by the Marsden.  I really can't say it was pleasant, sorry. They removed my right orchid first, (same op) and then attempted the major one. When I woke up, the nurse said all had gone well. I felt elated. Spent some time in ICU and then to a ward. Be prepared for pain, but you will get a button to press for a shot of strong painkiller when you need it.

Three days after my op, a junior doctor who was at the op( my surgeon never came to see me) told me all about it. He said my Aorta was too swollen and they couldn't remove any of the 8 reactive nodes that they could see. They cleaned up two areas where the large tumours had been. I was devastated.

This meant radiotherapy at the hospital where i had the chemo, The Maidstone hospital cancer unit. I had 21 days of radiotherapy, but although this may have cured me, it's caused havoc with my bowel. 4 years later i'm still having major problems. My legs aere also badly affected by the chemo. Lots of nerve and muscle damage. I sat in a chair for ten hours a day, so the blood stagnates in the legs, giving them a massive overdose of chemo. Should by laying flat on  bed really.

The fluid overload during chemo gave me an Aortic Aneurysm, due to the high level of cancer cell debris that had to pass through my kidneys, restricting my ability to pass urine, hence the overload of fluids that damaged me.

I'm not sure If I am cured yet, as my last ct scan and blood tests to see if had gone, was cancelled for two years due to the covid panic. I shold have had it in August 2020, but it was put off until August 2021, so a two year wait. Not good for the mental health ha ha

I wish you all the best, and usually the op goes ok. I was unlucky. At least I am still alive to see my Grandchilden etc. I am thankful for that.

All the very best. Mike.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks westfieldmike for sharing your experiences with me. I'm 55 and was told the same that I'm old for this Surgery.  My diagnosis is Primary Retroperitoneal Seminoma Stage 2C (was told rare) so I've not got seminoma actually in my testicles just in my Lymph Nodes.  I've had 4 cycles of Carboplatin Chemotherapy finnished end of November and had several CT Scans and was told my lymph nodes had gone down but are still a substantial size. I was told I'm in Partial Remission. Then sent to see a surgeon at St James Leeds on Monday and was told I needed RPLND as they can't  be sure there isn't a teratoma in my lymph nodes due the type of biopsy I recieved before my treatment 

How long were you kept in hospital? I was told between 7 to 10days ?

Thanks again very informative and I hope you get the all clear when you eventually get your CT Scan.

Barrie 

• FormerMember
    Hello, Tigerlad, what is your name?
    Well  I went in on a Monday morning at 8.30. They said i was late, it should have been 7.30!   I then showed them the letter stating 8.30. We had to travel into London from Hastings, so lucky to get there at 8.30.
    It was the Marsden in Chelsea. Where are you going?
    They hurried me straight through to the prep room, no time to be nervous. They gave me an epidural , and after a couple of minutes my legs felt hot. After that I was given the anaesthetic , and woke up late that afternoon in the high dependency unit.
    After a few more hours in there, I was moved to a small 6 bed ward.
    I had, and you will have, a double line into my  neck on the right side, a line into my arm, a tube up my nose and down into my stomach, and a tube into my bladder.  Also covered in wires and sensors suck to my chest.
    Now the pain. You will have an incision from your breastbone to your groin. It will feel as if someone has stuck a chainsaw into your belly. Every small movement you make will be agony. Sorry, but there it is. You will have another line in connected to a morphine pump. You can press it once every hour or so, it won't allow you to overdose. This helps, although the nurse told me I hardly used it.
    I was sent home on the Friday, 5 days later. I could hardly walk due to the pain. Far too early in my opinion.
    My wife collected me, we called a taxi to the train station. Then to East Sussex, and into our car for the rest of the journey.
    An awful Journy.
    I didn't rate the Marsden at all. My surgeon didn't come and see me afterwards, instead he sent a junior Doctor. He explained that the op had failed, when they exposed my Aorta, it was too swollen to remove the nodes. The op carries a 10% risk of death anyway, the most dangerous op the Marsde do they told me. So they couldn't risk it.  So all that for nothing. I had to have 21 days of radiotherapy some months later, and still suffer the consequences of radiation damage.
    Not a cheerful story mate, but I'm still here, still seeing my Grandchildren, still walking my whippet, and will be out on my sea kayak again this Summer.
    I'm about to speak to my GP Monday about possible radiation damage to my Pancreas, as it might not be producing enough enzymes. This causes more bowel problems and a vitamin deficiency.
    What a life ha ha.  They don't tell you all about the problems after treatment. I would make sure you fight for proper aftercare after treatment, as this is seriously lacking.
    All the best mate. I really hope it all goes well. I assume you have a mobile phone. If you want to chat or text when you are in hospital, feel free. My mobile is 07990 649752.
    Regards Mike.
  • FormerMember

Hi Mike my name is Barrie my RPLND Operation and Chemotherapy are all at St James (jimmys) Leeds. On Monday Surgeon told me earliest time for my Operation would be June then when recieved copy of appointment notes it said May ? .  I am awaiting official date ?. I was told if they were 100% certain it was just Seminoma in my lymph nodes then I could be on Surveillance  but and a big BUT there could be other Cancer in there so OP it is and to be honest I  just want the Cancer out. I'm on active surveillance for another Cancer Gleason 6 Prostate Cancer as well since 2018 which is under control at the moment. I do feel apprehensive about Operation. Don't want epidural as had disk Operations previously.  It does help to hear from somebody who has gone through it. Was given pamphlet with everything on plus photo of incision.   Doesn't look pleasant.  Thanks for your honesty.   At minute doing a lot of walking and thinking with my two dog's a whippet and a english Springer. 

Cheers Mike

Regards Barrie

• FormerMember

I have a Whippet!  He got me through the hard times getting back to walking after chemo. Lovely dogs. I wouldn't have had the excercise if it wasn't for him.

No it isn't pleasant, but looking back, I would rather have surgery(that worked) than aggressive chemo again. I got over surgery much faster than the chemo. sometimes, 5 years later, I can still think I smell the chemo in the middle of the night. Us cancer sufferers all know about the middle of the night ! Even now, my brain soemtimes re-runs some of the treatment. I had a biopsy needle inserted into my back, into a tumour behind my stomach. I was awake, and lying face down on the ct  scanner. They pushed the needle in a little way, and then back into the scanner to see where it was. Back out for another push, and so on for about 15 minutes, The last push into the tumour made my toes curl! Such fun...The worst memories are still chemo though.

Mike

• FormerMember
    1. The biopsy you described was done before I was diagnosed.  I had it done twice and stayed overnight in hospital each time.  First biopsy they only found necrotic tissue (dead) second time Seminoma.  Chemotherapy was Carboplatin AUC10, steroid injections in my stomach after each cycle for 10 days, as have other health issues .  Had a few side effects and a couple of stays in hospital but overall felt ok through 4 cycles of Chemo. Main side effect was constantly feeling Knackered and poor sleep and that's just starting to go as Last chemo was November. Hope op date in post soon as just want to get it done and hopefully get on with my life.

Love taking dogs out to destress over fields.

Barrie

• FormerMember

It's done then!   Just like mine, although mine has faded away a lot. Well done mate. Take it easy.

Mike.