Etoposide and Cisplatin (EP) chemo, any top tips?

• 13 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hello all

First used this site two years ago , found it very beneficial then so looking for a bit of advice.

Quick summary was  diagnosed with TC coming up to 2 years ago , had the orchidectomy and lost lefty, and gained a new nick name down the rugby club!  Staged as pt2 seminoma so had one shot of Carboplatin two months later to bring the recurrence rate down from 20% to 5%.

Fast forward two years , September’s check up showed high LDH so was sent for a scan last week, then get the call 4 days later, “you need to come in, and by the way  have you any back pain, “ ....”well off an on aches but put that down to sport.....”.

Long story short diagnosed as a relapse as have a retroperitoneal nodal mass so booked in for 4 cycles of Etoposide and Cisplatin chemo, told 5 days staying in hospital , then escape for three weeks and repeat 4 times. No visitors allowed due to good old COVID so will probably go nuts...or Nut (pardon the pun)

Can anyone give any tips on EP ie what to expect , how you were affected and any “wish I had known that...” also what the hell do you do to pass the time??

A big shout out though to the NHS and the way we are followed up and looked after with surveillance, it certainly works!

Cheers all

KOR

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, my son has just completed one cycle of BEP ...  he was an in patient for the five days of treatments..   I can only tell you what he told me is that he found it tough.  He found the sickness the hardest to cope with along with the tiredness.   They had to up his antisickness from oral to intravenous.   He lost his hair .. ten days after chemo started.     Watch out for infections.   He suffered a gum infection and along with his scar still healing ... his body couldnt cope with it, and the body said no and he was hospitalised.    He has recovered very well and has now gone back to uni.   We are just on the serveillance ride now.  

Hope things go well for you. 

• Thanks for the reply somebodysmum much appreciated, I wish you and your son well, and good luck with his studies, the surveillance journey certainly worked in my chase 

cheers

KOR

• Hi, I’ve just finished my 4th cycle of 5days BEP as in inpatient on Friday. I was diagnosed with metastatic testicular cancer in July mines had spread to lymph nodes too. I have 2 more Bleomycin day injections to get tomorrow & next Tuesday then that’s the treatment plan finished. After that my scan is end of November to hopefully get the news I want. If not there’s a small chance of RPLND to remove lymph nodes if they’re aren’t below 1cm. I think each person is different with BEP chemo I wasn’t too bad tbh apart from the hair loss & the few days after leaving hospital can be exhausting with no energy. Cycle 3 & 4 I also had sore mouth for a couple days but thankfully no sickness. Having spoke to nurses etc in hospital there does be patients who struggle with sickness from day 1 of treatment. You will be hooked on a drip for approx 7 hours each day as there’s fluids used before & after the chemo. So bring an iPad with Netflix or sky go app etc. Best wishes 

• Thanks for the reply and the advice Mcdcel, good luck with your scan

cheers

KOR

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to KOR

Hi KOR

I wouldn't say there are any top tips. From everything I've read on the Internet, etc. Chemo treatment seems to affect people very individually. Mental strength very important. 

I've just undergone my second session of Etoposide and Cisplatin just over a week ago. First session day three the nausea kicked in. A week later I was running a temperature over 38 and ended spending a couple of nights in observation. Started to pick up as my bloods and immune system increased. Thankfully managed to put some weight back on before my second session. 

Second session they kept me in for an extra 5 days as I contracted the dreaded Covid! Discharged from there only to end up in A&E 2 days later for another week while they had me on iv's and even plalets! Third session now delayed due to all this.... Half way on a long frustrating road. Can't wait till its long behind me. Fingers crossed

• Hello Mc Maltloaf

Really Sorry to hear what you have been through, and I appreciate the time you have taken to respond .

I’ve just been discharged after 4 days as picked up a throat infection with high temp a week after cycle 1 so went through the Neutropenic Sepsis procedure, not a great experience and I thought I was being so careful shielding. My next cycle also delayed for a week which to be honest I’m glad of at the moment.

I wish you well in your coming cycles and hope you luck changes as you are due a break, look after yourself and all the bestThumbsup

cheers 

KOR

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Ongoing recurrences here, since initial left orch’ in ‘13. (That’s rare, so as not to scare anyone).  Top tip.  Treat yourself, be honest with yourself, then treat yourself a bit more.  Wish I had.  ;) best wishes, you got this! 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I also relapsed after 10 months on surveillance for seminoma. I just finished 3 BEP a month ago. My only issues during chemo were bad acid reflux which Im still fighting now. Also got some coughing problems but it might be from the acid reflux not chemo. Otherwise my treatment was pretty uneventful. I had low white blood cell count after first and second cycle so I had to get some booster shots which hurt like crazy. Also left with some pain from neuropathy in fingers and a little titnitus in my ear but it might get better with time.

• Hi there, when they called and asked you to come in, was it sooner rather than later?? I had a routine ct scan 2  weeks ago and have been booked a follow up in oncology in 4 weeks time. Now I’m just worrying…. Surely if it was something it would be sooner than 4 weeks? 

• Hello James

in my case I had my scan on the Thursday and the oncologist then phoned me on the Monday and asked me  to come to the clinic the next day so was pretty quick.

I have had two subsequent relapses since then and both have been very similar ie the last one I got the call 3 days after the scan and was booked in for a telephone appointment three days later and the plan was discussed over the phone.

So in my case when my scans were abnormal they did not wait around.

When my scans have been normal my scheduled appointments have never been changed and can be 2 to 3 weeks post the scan.

Try not to worry James, easy said than done I know, but you are under surveillance and if there is anything they will jump on it.

Look after yourself 

cheers 

KOR