IVF following partners low sperm count after TC

• 4 replies
  • 13 subscribers
Hello,

My partner just had his sperm count test done 1 year post chemo from testicular cancer (stage 3)

His results are very low.

200,000 per ml

85% immotile 

4% progressive 

11% non progressive 

2% of normal form

The lady at the fertility clinic said to try for 4 months and if we dont fall pregnant to go to the doctors to ask for IVF on the NHS. 

I am wondering if anyone else has had experience with the IVF process following cancer treatment? If they was able to have it/how long it took etc.

Also does anyone know if post cancer patients are at any advantage to be accepted for IVF on the NHS as opposed to someone who has not been through cancer and is struggling to concieve? 

Thank you for any help/info

• Hi and another welcome to the online community

I can see from your activity that you were directed here from the life after cancer group by my friend Thehighlander. 

I don't have the experience you're looking for but I noticed that your post had gone unanswered so typed 'IVF' into the search facility in this group and found a number of recent posts on this subject. While you're waiting to see if anyone responds you could do the same and reply to any of these older posts where you think the poster may be able to help you.

I can also see that you posted this question in ask a nurse and that one of the Macmillan information nurses has replied. Clicking here will take you to her reply if you haven't seen it yet.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Stefx

I am now in the same situation as you and  I was wondering if you had an update on how things went? did you have to wait a certain period of time to get IVF on the NHS? 
    thanks! 

• Hi Marbs, I’m not sure what nhs is, but it took my husband 2 years to be able to produce again post chemo 2cyckes of BEP). His count is still very low, we are doing ivf and have been for the last 3 years, but it seems like our issue has changed to female factor. We used frozen testicular tissue for embryos. Let me know if you have questions.

• Hi marbs! Hope you and your partner are doing okay. We had to try naturally for 6 months before they put us forward for IVF, then from being referred it took around 6 months to start so a year in total. Here if you have any questions x