Help dealing with side effects after Chemotherapy.

• 3 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Good evening all, 

I hope you’re all doing well and am sending all my positivity your way.

Two days ago I started treatment and I am feeling terrible, I was just hoping that someone would have some advice or would be open to sharing their experience of going through treatment. 

Since treatment I have been feeling awful. I’ve been struggling with sickness, tiredness, frustration and everything sounds like I am listening to things under water (very muffled). I am struggling with eating as I feel so sick. 

Does anyone have any tips or anything that worked in making them more comfortable and/or less agitated after starting treatment. 

Any help or insights of what is to come would be appreciated.

Thank you :)

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read how much you're struggling with chemotherapy. I assume you've spoken to the chemotherapy nurses as they can usually prescribe things to help with the symptoms.

I'm not a member of this group but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list where it'll be easier to spot.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I am afraid I do not have any tips that would help making treatment more comfortable.  I am in the third week of my first cycle.  The first week was awful.  I struggled during the second week and felt very lonely and depressed.  I regained my strength at the end of the second week and the third week is definitely better.  I made it to the gym today.  I did not do much but just going there made me feel so much better.   I scheduled a light session with a personal trainer tomorrow.  I feel like doing normal activities will help me clear my mind and feel better.  

• I’m assuming you are having 3 or 4 cycles of BEP. Stay well hydrated, avoid fizzy drinks. If you ever have a temperature ring the 24/7 immediately. I found eating sweets and ice cream, ice lollies a life saver during the first cycle. It is incredibly hard. You’ll want ti quit, but don’t give up, it does get better. It has been nearly 6 weeks and I don’t have any major side effects. Just waiting for my hair to grow back.