Chemo

• 4 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hi, I'm new to the forum & only found out today that my left testicle that was removed was in fact cancer.

I had my ultra sound followed by a CT scan & orchiectomy. My follow up was today confirming cancer.

The CT scan came back clear of any disease & my blood markers are good. The consultant has told me that even though the CT scan was clear, tiny particles may still have spread.

They have told me I'll be contacted by St Barts hospital to arrange a couple of chemotherapy sessions to kill off any potential threats.

I've never had cancer before & although I've read the little leaflet given to me I am still very green to what lies ahead.

I'm not sure what to expect with regards to a couple of sessions, whether this is a couple of short visits or an over night stay per visit? Also can I work the following day?

I'm worried about side affects too but I really don't want to google too much as it can sometimes frighten the life out of me.

What is worrying me the most is how normal I still feel. Its like everyone around me is worrying and making sure I'm ok & I don't feel like it warrants that.

I don't know if it's shock but I'm not feeling the severity of this yet.

I don't even know what to tell people! The cancerous lump has been taken out so do I tell people I had it & now I don't even though I'm still being treated.

• Hi

As your CT and bloods are clear it is likely that you will be advised to have a single cycle of Carboplatin. It isn't as harsh as other multi cycle treatments. 

You would go into hospital and be hooked up to a drip and it would be administered over the course of a few hours. Then you'll go home feeling fine, but you'll feel rough and weak the next day and for a few weeks after. Then you'll slowly start feeling yourself again over the next month after that. 

So not a very nice prospect, but in a few months life will be back to normal for you. 

How old are you? Have you had children?  You might be left sterile so you'll be given the option of sperm banking.

I felt similar to you. I'm quite stoic and wasn't as worried as my friends and family. Just explain to them that as far as science can tell you don't have cancer and this chemo is just to make sure it doesn't return.

If you search for Carboplatin on this forum you'll find lots of info about the experience.

Best wishes

G

• Hi, thank you so much for taking the time to explain that to me. Luckily I'd made the decision years ago not to have any children. So when they asked me before the operation, it wasn't something I had to go away & think about. 

They also asked me if I would like an artificial implant replacement at a later date. To be honest I've decided against that because it would mean another op, more time off work & the risk of infection. That was my personal preference though & I can totally understand other fellas going ahead with an implant. 

Thank you for putting me in the picture regarding carboplatin. I feel less anxious with more of an idea with what may be ahead of me.

All the best

Steve

• No problem. Carboplatin is the usual adjuvant chemo if scans and bloods are clear, but there are other treatments. But either way it won't be too bad. A bit like a hangover that lasts two or three weeks with the occasional normal day mixed in.

• I haven't had a hangover for 28 months now so that'll be fun lol!

Thanks again