Stomach cancer

• 5 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Hi my name is Christine and my husband was diagnosed with stomach cancer a few months ago.

The prognosis is good, he has had 4 lots of chemo and is going for a 2nd scan tomorrow, finger  crossed, surgery in a few weeks.

Can anyone let me know the recovery time of surgery.

Thanks

• Hi Christine 

My OH had his total gastrectomy last October, and was in hospital for 8 days. 

All went really well for him. He recovered quickly and done what they told him to do in regards to his eating and drinking.

He did develop an infection in one of the drainage holes when he came home, but it healed well. Rest is important obviously. I suppose everyone's different when healing and it will take a bit of time. 

He was left 11 weeks in total to recover before the next lot of Flott chemo started. Which he's had two. But unfortunately developed shingles so it's been postponed for two weeks, and so it's starting again Monday. 

All I would say is don't rush things. Go day by day. 

I'm sorry he's going through this, it's devastating.  But staying positive helps. 

Hope his scan goes well, and he recovers well after his op. 

Xx

• Hi

Welcome to our group! I recovered well from surgery, much better than I thought that I would! I couldn’t imagine how I would ever eat and drink normally again. I wrote a Blog of my recovery which you can read if you click on my name. 
    I was discharged home after 5 days but I had no complications and was on an enhanced recovery programme! This meant that I was up and sitting on a chair the day after surgery and walking a few steps the next day. It does take time for the new plumbing to heal and for you to get used to eating and drinking again. 
    I went back to work on a phased return after 6 weeks. I didn’t have chemo after surgery but most people do. 
    Everyone is different and I know that I was very lucky! 
    Hope that helps but do post any questions you have. 

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Thank you for your response.

Glad to hear you are recovering well.

Haven’t read you blog as yet but will do. My husband will know at the end of the month if surgery is to go ahead.

Hope you continue to to do what you enjoy doing Slight smile

• So glad to hear you OH recovers quickly after his op. 
    my husband had a bad reaction to his 1st chemo and was in hospital for 6 days which put things back a couple of weeks. They then reduced it by 25% which made a huge difference to how he felt he was able to eat without any pain or feeling sick. He has just had is 2nd scan and is now waiting for the result to see if it had spread and if he can have surgery. 
     We are lucky in Leeds as we have a Maggie centre, not sure if you have heard of this but they are a great help.

Hope your OH continues to make good progress. Slight smile

• Hi sorry to hear your OH chemo was delayed, hope he has now been well enough to start.

My husband has now got appointments through to see his consultant and surgeon, and hopefully. Surgery mid to end of March.

He did have a bad reaction to his 1st lot of chemo, but they then reduced the dose and he felt ok after his next 3 doses.

He initially went to the doctors has he got a pain in the middle of his chest and felt sick every time he ate anything. He eventually stopped eating has it was too painful.  Following his 2nd round of chemo he is eating and drinking anything and everything without pain or nausea which I am hoping is a good sign. Fingers crossed