Newly diagnosed

• 3 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Recently diagnosed with stomach cancer, was a bit of shock from the tests I had been having, as wasn't something I had considered. Starting chemo next week, so had chat with my direct manager who been great and telling my team tomorrow, not a conversation I am looking forward to. 

• Hi . I myself have a different cancer but I can fully empathise with that. Cancer was the very last thing that crossed my mind when my GP referred me.

I'm also retired so didn't have any work impact to think about. It's good to hear your direct manager was positive, hopefully your team will be too. It's strange the way the "C" word has an effect on people. Some can smother you, others don't seem to be able to handle it and drift away. The good thing is by joining this forum you'll be able to connect emotionally and get support from the members here. It's only us who've been here know exactly what you're going through as we've been there too.

Hope the meeting goes well and good luck with the chemo starting next week.

Big hugs to you, B x

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thank you, was a mixed bag and then quite a bit of silence. So many practical elements to sort before I take my leave which seems inevitable before next week. Has anybody worked during chemo treatment? 

Thanks

• Hello. Difficult question! I have a different type of cancer, a blood cancer. Had initial chemo which involved six cycles 3 weeks apart. I worked through most of that apart from treatment days and perhaps few days after. Fatigue was hard and emotions unsteady and got harder through cycles. You will be able to tell if you are up for work. Mine wasnt physical work. 

That failed and then had stem cell transplant. Much stronger chemo and three months wiped out and not really back at work for another two after that. Was working again pretty normally after 5 months.

Hope that helps!

Mike