Stomach cancer

• 10 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Hi all,I'm new here and I have had a lot of help from those suffering the same as my husband .He has stomach cancer and had 2 flot chemo treatments with 2 more to go .How soon should he be able to have his stomach removed? also I've read that people still keep burping The reason my husband originally went to the doctor was because of excessive burping and i was surprised to hear that it continues after the op. please can anyone also tell me how long it is before he will be able to eat? Thankyou all x

• Hi, sorry to hear your news, I waited about 6 weeks after the FLOT for my operation, I think it depends on which hospital he goes to regarding their regime for eating again, I was able to have soup on the 3rd day after the surgery. It’s useful to get prepared beforehand, there are some good leaflets on NHS websites. I found a book which was recommended by someone on here called The Art of eating without a stomach very useful, available on kindle is cheaper, this helped me to have lots of food prepared and in the freezer for after discharge.

Preparation was key for me as it helped me to recover well, I am now 5 months post op and eating well I’m happy to answer any questions you may have if I can as will everyone on here because it’s such a supportive group, good luck x

• An operation is about 6 weeks after the end of chemo, typically. He’ll have another scan before they give you the definite date. 

My husband is 2 months post-op, there is some burping sometimes, but nothing too horrible, I’d say. 

• Thankyou so much for your help. Its encouraging to hear you're eating already.

• I moved onto a very soft diet after about a week, extremely small portions every 2-3 hours, I had ensure drinks which are high calorie and prescribed but taste better than fortisip or fortijuice in my opinion.

• Thankyou encouraging news.

• Hi there, i had Ivor Lewis and most of my stomach removed and 2 inches of oesophagus 4 months ago. I did two months of FLOT chemo before that. Im now back training in gym 3- 4 times per week and back playing golf. Ive lost about 16kg but feel incredibly well. Biggest issue is lack of appetite but the Mrs ensures i eat regularly even though im not hungry. I get vitamin supplements from dietician and i also take two extra protein supplements. I’d recommend warriors protein and the packs from NHS, although they taste disgusting! My advice is get him fit, especially before the surgery. Pre hab is really important for recovery. I was 9 days at becket in Leeds and i hated every minute on the ward. I was surrounded by people who frankly did not look after themselves and I was very glad to wish them well as i said goodbye. If your husband wants to chat with me I’ll gladly tall to him. 

• Thankyou so much best of luck for the future 

• The burping thing is weird because I only get that if I sleep on my left side! I think everyone reacts differently but it calms down as you learn more. I’d say biggest thing is don’t drink any fluids before or after eating for about 30 mins as it causes dumping syndrome. It gets better though and hardly causes me a problem now 4 months after surgery 

• Thanks for the tip